Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Look what's coming this Feb. One of the nicest PSA 8 52 Topps Mantles out there.

Comments

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Saw it - that is a sweet card. Think we might see $600-700k+ on it. Better looking than the recent 8.5 IMO.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

That is one stunning 8. Very strong for the grade.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are there any recorded prior sales in VCP for this cert number? Just curious if we can tell what this specific copy has sold for in the past.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

No prior sales that I could find.

Kevin

• Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

Based on the number, is this a reholder in from an old holder into a new one, but kept the same number??

• Options
    MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

@Stingray said:
    Based on the number, is this a reholder in from an old holder into a new one, but kept the same number??

Yes, it would have been a fairly early graded Mantle.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Has to be a reholder. Cards with certs starting with zero have been originally graded a while ago. Someone has more detail on the timing. And yes the card in my experience will always keep the same number. What a beautiful card, better question why no 8.5 with that centering? Maybe just reholdered and not reviewed.

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

Edit: if the card bumps then the cert number will change.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

Hum, love the card, but how many times has this been resubmitted looking for a bump? And it didn't get one, so something amiss? I think any buyer would ask why this is an 8, especially with the great centering? The '52 mantle is simply not a card that comes on the market under-graded.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

One cannot discount that it can be good for a TPG to be extra harsh on cards like this, which generate quite a healthy fee over time for reviews. Point being that the card can in truth be worthy of an 8.5 despite the flip saying 8.

I would bid more for this card than the 8.5 that recently sold, without question.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2016 9:16PM

Stunning card. High end PSA 8 that has an excellent shot at eclipsing 1MM, imo..

It may or may not have been reviewed when reholdered, but in any case, the consignor did the right thing by reholdering it with the new flip to maximize value.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

great looking card!

• Options

Really like the centering and color on this card, and blew up the image on Heritage and after further review it will be an 8 and always an 8. "Not to get a date with Cindy Crawford and complain about her mole all night", but check the upper right corner and to the left of the Yankees logo on the bottom lower left of the card and you will find your answer. None the less a stunning card.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KendallCat said:
    Really like the centering and color on this card, and blew up the image on Heritage and after further review it will be an 8 and always an 8. "Not to get a date with Cindy Crawford and complain about her mole all night", but check the upper right corner and to the left of the Yankees logo on the bottom lower left of the card and you will find your answer. None the less a stunning card.

I checked the site as well. Notice the 2 vertical marks on Mickeys bridge of his nose. The registration of the outer part of the name box shows a fair amount of white. The logo box has a broken black line across the top. On the reverse of the card there is a slight circular stain to the right of MANTLE name. I agree I did see the "mole" mark (tan in color) to the left of the logo.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    thunderdanthunderdan Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭

That is a super nice 8, no doubt.

And Cindy has a super nice mole and....personality.

• Options

@thunderdan said:
    That is a super nice 8, no doubt.

And Cindy has a super nice mole and....personality.

The freaking Catalina Wine Mixer!