Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

I Created a New Trading Card Product Line!

mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 17, 2016 8:17AM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE - PLEASE CHECK THE END OF THIS THREAD FROM TIME TO TIME FOR UPDATES!

Watch me put together a 1/1 Custom completely on video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Y1xhdqi_A

Let me see a show of hands. How many of you think that it is absolute madness at how many types of cards have been released this past year? The card release calendar shows TONS of them ... not to mention the online only and store specific cards out there.

Well, the card market is about to get one more, though case breakers will not have an interest in this one.

I realize that there is a big risk in coming out with a new card product. Whether they have succeeded or crashed and burned, generally all are met with harsh criticism. I hope this isn't one of them! :)

What if I told you that I've made a new card line with the most diverse checklist ever? One that will elicit emotions that go beyond normal trading cards. They will make some laugh, others cry, and have a high potential of being quite possibly the most notable & cherished card in your entire collection.

That sets the bar ridiculously high, but it is my hope that you agree with me.

First, I had to come up with a killer name. Something that oozes high end ... glamor. Lifestyles of the rich and famous.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you, the HIGHEST END EVER....wait, what? That name has already been taken? :/

Okay, let's try again ...

INSANITY! The ULTIMATE high end card. It would be pure insanity to spend money on this...errr...I mean it would be pure insanity not to buy. Yeah, that's what I meant!

Not quite ....

When a good deal comes my way, I JUMP IN IT. (I love that DirectTV commercial with the mini giraffe!) Speaking of good deals, check this sweet costume I found at Target the other night! #hemustworkout

Sigh, if only working out were as easy as putting on a costume.

Okay, back to the card line. (Forgive me, but how could I NOT share that pic with you?)

After talking it over at the kitchen table with my family, I came up with this:

Custom Cuts - Yeah! I like the ring to it! My first thought was to grab the domain name customcuts.com. Sadly, someone picked it up, but it was for sale.

I inquired about the price, and here is the response I got:

Uhmmm.... $59,888 ????

I considered countering at $50.00 but instead, I thought this response was more appropriate:

Silly, silly interwebs.

I opted instead for CustomCutsOnline.com for a smooth $15/year.

So, what exactly is Custom Cuts? Well, let me show you. There are 2 different configurations.

A gorgeous high-end design and beautiful gold holo-foil. I know what you are asking yourself "Hey, where's the cream filling?"

This is where it gets interesting and exciting.

Custom Cuts is an easy to use kit that allows you to create your own card! You have two choices: Buy the kit and do it yourself, or send me the pieces and I'll create it for you.

Here is how it works.

Each kit comes with the following pieces:

The fun part is selecting the pieces you want to include. Once you do, you use the cutting template to easily cut the pieces to the exact sizes you need. Cut the pieces larger than the holes, but smaller than the template to ensure a good fit.

The back is actually like a sticker. Once you are ready, you just peel it and stick it to the back!

For me, the story of a card is absolutely huge. It is the difference between having just another shiny parallel that was pushed out, and something that is truly meaningful. To me, a shiny low numbered refractor with no story means very little to me when compared to a dull looking older card with a fantastic story.

The backs will have a hand-written serial number, if you desire. The reason for this is so you (or anyone) can go to the website and look up what the story is behind the card in the database. You, of course, would write the story. This could be something documenting the pieces that were used, or even a nice note to the recipient of the card if you are giving it as a gift.

My favorite thing about this is that there are literally no limits to your creativity, aside from being mindful of the hole dimensions.

The fun part in creating customs is finding the right pieces for a project. The Custom Cuts kit is designed to have fun, and end up with something meaningful - whether it is for your own collection, or for someone else!

Here are some examples of what can be done:

A picture of your little leaguer and jersey patch or signature = your new favorite 1/1

A paw print + pic you printed out of your cat = a Custom Pawtograph

Old Magazine page + signed index card = Custom High End ALF!

Signed Post Card + Trading Card = Mickey Mantle Cut Signature

Magazing + dog chewed trading card = Al Kaline cut signature

Wedding Picture + Invitation = Keepsake that may actually get your wife into cards (Hey, we can dream, can't we?)

Here they are all together:

This is my first "invention" so to speak, and I'm very proud of it. I look forward to hearing what you all think about this as well! I hope this will be a bit hit for folks this Christmas, as I've gotten loads of requests to create personal cards as gifts.

Oh, and what a better way to kick off my first invention than with my first infomercial?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFpGLdr7Fa8

For anyone who does pick up a kit, I encourage everyone to post what they have made online. I'd get a huge kick out of seeing what other people use this for.

As always, thanks for reading! I look forward to hearing what you all think.

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!

Comments

• thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

That's pretty cool. Good luck. When I have more free time than I currently do, I might try a couple. Nice job

Buying US Presidential autographs
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

Hrea idea, I hope it goes well for you

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

Great idea

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

Fantastic idea, but (looking at the wedding photo above), who would knowingly become Mrs. Buttersworth?

• mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

LOL! @bobsbbcards I'm not sure if you read my gag post from a year or two ago, but the origin of mr. Buttersworth is from my story I wrote here: http://www.tanmanbaseballfan.com/2014/08/found-my-29-year-white-whale-and-reason.html - I have the "letter" from him framed and on my wall :)

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
  • GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Im having issues with the "buy it now" button on the order page. Doesn't seem to be responding. Ive tried on two different machines. Could you take a look and see if it's a problem on the site? Thanks.

@Grimster I'm sorry ... please try now!

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

Cool site. $15 a year that's a steal. Good luck.

• DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Tanner ... best of luck with your new venture!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

@addicted2ebay said:
    Cool site. $15 a year that's a steal. Good luck.

Thanks! The $15/yr is just for the domain www.customcutsonline.com - typically people will need to pay monthly hosting fees, but I run a small web development outfit, so I am just running it on my server.

• GrimsterGrimster Posts: 286 ✭✭✭

Just ordered a vertical orientation one. excited :)

edited December 7, 2016 12:46PM

I did a fun little program graphic for this:

edited December 8, 2016 4:48PM

Here is a quick pic of some of the kits going out today (front face plates).

:)

Here is a fun custom cuts card using junk wax! 1992 Fleer Frank Thomas and 1992 Fleer wrapper...

I thought I'd do a little instructional video (which also shows a small improvement in the kit!) where I put together a cut signature card using an 8x10 and a base card.

The result? A crotch-a-riffic cut auto 1/1 custom! LOL (video below!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2etkfDjlckQ

edited December 14, 2016 1:43PM

A few exciting additions. First, I shaved.

Second, I got my first youtube testimonial!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3Jcr9bNy_A

"Tanner my video is up of my custom cut cards. WOW just WOW these are beautiful. I will be ordering more this week. Thank you for all of your hard work. I may have a few other projects to talk to you about but i will email you. Me and my wife had a blast putting these together."

Third, I made a modification based upon bethanyb1201's suggestion via pm yesterday. I'm not sure if this is exactly what was meant, but the suggestion came at a perfect time as I was looking to re-work the template that comes in my custom cuts kit anyway.

Here is a graphical representation of it:

Watch me put together a Frank Thomas cut auto in about 10 minutes using a damaged auto, a picture I took with my phone and one of my Custom Cuts kits!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Y1xhdqi_A

Just a few pics to show of the progression:

The damaged autograph (I have looked FOREVER to figure out who sent this to me. If this is you, please speak up - I'd love to give you a shout out!)

A picture of me and Frank a few years ago:

I decided to get a little fancy with this, and photoshop myself out of it. (I would have never in a million years thought I would have EVER photoshopped myself OUT of a pic with the Big Hurt!)

The final product!

Annndddd... everything together:

Email me if you want to create something amazing yourself at tanmanbaseballfan@gmail.com !

So last night, Darren Rovell of ESPN tweeted out my website...

So, this is what happened with the traffic:

Cool stuff!

Also, as a thank you to Darren for tweeting out my link, I created a digital edition card for him commemorating his 89 Fleer Rick Face story. (Black box version used for obvious reasons!)

Oh, and finally, to commemorate Rogue One Day, a family pic w/ticket relic:

You don't love your cat nearly as much as you should unless you have a trading card of him/her.

Check out this pair of customs that a happy customer made!

The one on the left has a cut piece of a prescription for the cat, and the other has a cut piece of the curtain they damaged.

• addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭

lol I'm sold

You know what tops the feeling you get when a bunch of people are hyped about your product? The feeling you get when they become [b]CUSTOMERS[/b] and go out of their way to say how fun and awesome your product is!

So far, everyone has been having a blast with their Custom Cuts kits! Here is the latest card made by a dad who used a Santa pic and a baby blanket. He & his wife made it together and had a blast doing it!

I made a promo ad to show how quick it is ... also gives me a good reason to bump this :)

edited January 31, 2017 9:38PM

Got this in from Twitter ...
    Just put together a @gzusi card with a @tanmanbbfan Custom Cuts template. Easy to use and looks great! Thanks Tanner!