Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My 1st requested player set!

Carl Furillo was a very good, but overshadowed OF on the great Dodger teams of the 50s

I was surprised that nobody had ever requested his cards be added as a player set. I've been picking up his cards (slowly) over the past year.

Got the email that set was live, and figured it was a good chance to show off some cards.

Comments

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good job. I would have thought Furillo already had a registry set as well.

• Options

great job!

• Options
    calaban7calaban7 Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

Ian , all those cards present very well for their grades . Nice pickups .

" In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act " --- George Orwell
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great looking cards for sure. Well done!!!!

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

Great looking cards. I like your passion for centering!

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's good to see some under appreciated/under exposed old time players get their due, and move up the recognition ladder. Nice project. Good luck.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭

When I first moved to Berks County (PA) in 1984, Furillo lived less than a mile away from the apartment complex I was living in...I saw him a couple times in his yard and I wish now I had the courage to approach him

IMF

Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Very nice cards and like the centering. Eventually, I need his 1957 card. I'd like to get all the Brooklyn Dodgers from 57.

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Nice cards of a very good player

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    rugbymarinerugbymarine Posts: 418 ✭✭✭✭

@Ironmanfan said:
    When I first moved to Berks County (PA) in 1984, Furillo lived less than a mile away from the apartment complex I was living in...I saw him a couple times in his yard and I wish now I had the courage to approach him

IMF

This is part of the reason that I chose to collect his cards!

We moved to Berks County 3 years ago. I had it in my head that I wanted to build a player set of someone from the (mostly) the 50s. But when I saw what that could cost for players like Jackie, Mick, Mays, etc, I sort of put that idea aside.

I heard mention of the Reading Rifle nickname, and I looked into what kind of player Furillo was. I've always been a fan of the Brooklyn teams of that era, so I decided to go for it. Then I found out there wasn't a registry set. Not the end of the world, but I made it a challenge to get the required 5 cards to request one.

And here we are.

Thanks for kind words from everyone. Appreciate it!