Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Jumping back into the hobby, this time with my son

Eavdr10Eavdr10 Posts: 54 ✭✭✭
edited December 1, 2016 10:09PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hello all. Like the title reads, I'm stepping back into the hobby. I've always loved it , but could never quite find what made me fall in love with this hobby to begin with. I think having my son with me this time around will help remind me what makes this hobby so special. In the past I always was so quick to spend and jump on stuff on a whim. This time I'd like to be more methodical. I'm going to take it one card at a time. I'm done with the autos, I'm done with the refractors. So that being said, how about some input.

I'm going to make my first purchase for my son a good one. His favorite player is Mike Trout. I've narrowed it down to three choices , all in PSA 10. I enjoy them all equally , so I guess the one that has the most potential for future value will win out.

2011 Topps Update
2011 Bowman Chrome (non draft)
2011 Bowman sterling

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi, hello, how are ya? B)

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Topps is about half the price of the Bowman Chrome which is about half the price of the Sterling. All are great the Topps has a huge mass appeal, but the other 2 are great as well.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

Trout is good, but don't forget about Kris Bryant!!

• Options
    Eavdr10Eavdr10 Posts: 54 ✭✭✭

If I was buying today I think I'd choose the sterling.

Bryant 15 topps is a great card. missed out on 15 Topps limited a few weeks back. It's on the list though.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

My son and collect as well, and the only new stuff we buy is Bowman Chrome or Panini basketball so we have stuff to rip. We also get stuff like 87 Topps boxes for $10-12 as well as some racks from 1983 and 1985. Outside of that the 11 year old is an Aaron, Banks, Mantle collector who loves to use dad's $$ to buy stuff. He has been to a bunch of Nationals with me and really enjoys it so you should have fun. Make sure you focus on a year, player or two, set... otherwise it can get a little expensive!