Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Can Somebody Help Me Identify this Ancient Coin

djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi:
I am new to ancients and got the coin in the photos. I was wondering if someone could identify it for me.

Sorry the photos aren't the best.

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2016 6:31PM

It has a very tall radiate crown (sometime after 230AD, but many coins have smaller radiate crowns).
    Obverse legend ends with PF AVG, but this does not narrow it down much.
    If you can read what the legend starts with, like IMP, that could help.
    I'm not sure what's on the reverse. Photos are close, but maybe a gray or brown background would help.

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin picture looks like Emperor Postumus.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2016 1:51AM

Hard to say, with the focus in those pix and the surfaces of the coin being as they are.

I'm getting a "barbarous radiate" aura, here, though I'll defer to those with more knowledge.

As far as WB2's "Postumus" hunch (which could be right, for all I know), it could also, if a barbarous imitation, be from around that same time and general vicinity (i.e., mid- to late-3rd century Gaul)?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it could be Postumus, Tetricus I or Tetricus II, or barbarous imitations of these.
    The radiate crowns on Tetricus I and II have the double outlines like this coin.
    I'd lean towards Tetricus II, since he is usually clean shaven. See photos of examples at:
    wildwinds.com/coins/ric/tetricus_II/t.html
    These are 251-253AD.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hadn't noticed the double-outlined crown before. That's part of what made me think "barbarous radiate". So while I guess it still could be a barbarous imitation, I suppose you could be right. It could be "regal" issue, too, I guess.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.