Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Thinking about selling my collection....

I'm giving serious consideration to selling my entire collection, large, small, and obsoletes. I know to go the auction route, and have it pretty much narrowed down to Heritage or Stacks Bowers. Any input would be appreciated.

The above is my two cents worth - adjusted for inflation, YOU OWE me money. Please pay promptly.

SPMC LM #371

Comments

• Options

Heritage and Stacks Bowers good choices! Lyn knight is also as well. Good people you can trust!

• Options

Formally known as FLASHSTI

• Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭

You been nipping that Georgia shine again? Serious consideration...

• Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

Say it ain't so! If you have time, i would pepper them out slowly, but if you have to move them all at once, talk to dealers you've done business with and see if you can work out a price that will work for you both.

• Options
    goodpapergoodpaper Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

I would suggest selling the minor items on eBay. Once that phase is completed and liquidating the main body of your collection is still a course you wish to pursue, then either go the auction route or bring it all to Kansas City next year for the IPMS where you will have a captive audience of buyers with whom you can negotitate. Once the deal is done, you can then take your crew out for some BBQ!

"Specializing in Small Size US currency but likely to buy anything high grade or interesting".
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭

I like the way goodpaper thinks! ...provided I'm still part of the crew of course :)

• Options

Any Iowa nationals in that collection?

JrDavid68
  • Options
    HeywoodHeywood Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

I have recently done the same for non obsolete, non colonial portion. The cheaper stuff on the Heritage Tuesday auctions has been pretty disappointing, Some going close to face!

I did not have time to go the ebay route because I was leaving the country.

The better stuff on bigger stage has done ok.

It has been a little soft, and not to be political, but I think having the election finally over may help with peoples confidence, even if they did not get who they wanted.

If you can wait, I would.

A witty saying proves nothing- Voltaire (1694 - 1778)

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor

does the truth become error because nobody will see it. -Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948)
  • Options
    boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

Offering notes on the BST board here may get you a few sales w/o all the trouble of an auction house.

Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

Any high grade small size would definitely bring demand here.

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭

@JrDavid68 said:
    Any Iowa nationals in that collection?

Or obsoletes/scrip/nationals in the STL MO-IL and (large sized) Evansville IN areas? As mentioned by a couple of other posts, if you've got the inclination to offer material here you have a motivated cadre of collectors. Could be a win-win.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    synchrsynchr Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭✭

I like BBQ too!

• Options

what u got in large size? any high end stuff.? list em plz/

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2, 2017 12:24PM

I'd have a top market expert do a market analysis on the notes so you don't get sweat talked into selling under full value. It would pay to be charged for that too. Consignment to one of the top show dealers is also an option. Upgrades are possible especially based on when and by whom they were graded.

• Options
    KT5SilverKT5Silver Posts: 162 ✭✭✭

If you can get top dollar from a collector why would you choose to have a dealer take a percentage off the top?

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely, but that is a big "if". The wrong auction can translate into less than the strongest offer from a dealer. Some dealers service want lists or are willing to take the note on consignment for the top buyer.

• Options

I'm into the small size if you're asking
    :)

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited January 6, 2017 11:40AM

I've also been downsizing some areas to focus on a few key interests where there may be some chance at "completion" if I throw enough attention and $ at them. Seem to have run out of trading opportunities and I've always suffered from the "oh look shiny thing" syndrome so have several "orphan collections" which temporarily snagged my attention and were fun to build but really don't gen much interest anymore. Also have several "rainy day" boxes - areas I'd work up some day when I have time which frankly is not likely to happen anytime soon if ever. In both cases there is some reasonably scarce items tying up significant $. After looking again at the current Heritage sale - where a ton of good material just gets buried in the back - I wonder if the smaller LFK sales represent a better showcase for very good/solid but not "blockbuster" material.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

If you have any 1928 or 1934 FRN series $5, $10, or $20 that you would like to sell individually or as a lot --PM me. Looking for 34 $5 SF LGS and 34A $10 SF Mule specifically. No preference-Raw or graded.

• Options

Hi My name is Woody3882 I saw you posting and was wondering if you possibly had one of the following listed 1957 Silver Certificates. I am trying to work on my Registry Sets. If by chance you do have one, Please contact me by e-mail at woody3882@aol.com I appreciate your time,
    Thanks Woody
    1957 $1. Silver Certificates
    FR-1619 Grade 67 and up E-A P-A R-A Z-A Q-A *-D M-A
    Grade 68 and up G-A L-A W-A D-A N-A B-B
    Grade 69 A-A F-A H-A J-A T-A U-A X-A Y-A A-B *-C
    1957-A
    FR-1620 Grade 67 and up F-A J-A
    Grade 68 and up D-A G-A H-A K-A M-A
    Grade 69 A-A B-A E-A I-A L-A N-A P-A *-A

1957-B
    FR-1621 Grade 68 and up Q-A
    Grade 69 U-A

Dana Wood

Woody3882@aol.com

2015 Certificate Award Winner 2016 Certificate Award Winner
  • Options

Hi Woody,

Sorry but I don't have any of the notes you're looking for.

• Options

Hello,
    do you have world notes? Specially middle east and south east Asia.
    Thanks

Looking for:

1. Any The Zanzibar Government note in any condition.
  • Options

@logger7 said:
    I'd have a top market expert do a market analysis on the notes so you don't get sweat talked into selling under full value. It would pay to be charged for that too. Consignment to one of the top show dealers is also an option. Upgrades are possible especially based on when and by whom they were graded.

While always good advice, I believe the seller is pretty well informed too!

• Options

list them all on here first and give us treasure hunters first shot :) why wait 4-5 months to get an auction to sell them

always searching .... searching and searching
    collector and dealer of nortwest pennsylvania national notes
  • Options

@Heywood said:
    I have recently done the same for non obsolete, non colonial portion. The cheaper stuff on the Heritage Tuesday auctions has been pretty disappointing, Some going close to face!

It has been a little soft, and not to be political, but I think having the election finally over may help with peoples confidence, even if they did not get who they wanted.

@Heywood said:

• Options

This is logical from the buyer's point but reading between the lines I see the seller wanting an easy, single transaction. Listing out items one by one to get picked over is the seller's highest effort required

@pahistorical said:
    list them all on here first and give us treasure hunters first shot :) why wait 4-5 months to get an auction to sell them

• Options
    TCCUGATCCUGA Posts: 70 ✭✭

Blake the OP is a top notch collector and veteran numismatist who knows exactly what he has and what it's worth, as well as what his options are and how it all works. If you read the post, the whole point is simply to ask our feedback on which of the two auction giants he should consign with, based on our experiences with either Stacks Bowers or Heritage.

My advice would be see what kind of deal you could negotiate re:fees with both. Bigger consignors with good stuff can get a better deal, in some cases even over 100% of hammer and a cut of the juice.

Also see if any of the big ticket items would be going up against similar notes in a particular sale your notes would be featured in. For example, three gem $10 rainbows or five 66PPQ battleships in the same sale is going to hurt if you are going up against others. You want your better stuff to get top billing and not be overshadowed or lost in the shuffle. As for which auction company, I'm friends with the people at both and they are great to work with (as well as Lyn K.) and think they are all good. Best of luck.

Buying Athens, GA nationals and obsoletes, for my personal collection
    Buying most large and small type notes and some nationals for inventory
  • Options
    gnatgnat Posts: 392 ✭✭✭
    edited January 14, 2017 12:00PM

More chance of getting some items buried in a Heritage sale (and the weekly auctions) than in LFK or Stacks Bowers.

And, yes, for many items that may be desirable, but not high dollar or ultra high grade, listing the BST either here and/or the other paper money forum (www.papermoneyforum.com) is a good strategy.

• Options

Don't do it