Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Just spent 1 hour putting together 3 individual submissions... now I have a headache.

2ltdjorn2ltdjorn Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭

I do enjoy coins, and buying coins.

I typically buy coins pre-graded, but had recently bought the flops from the mint and had them gridded for ease of storage so I thought I would send in 3 cross overs (2 world, 1 US).

3 submissions...
first- 2 2016 SLQ, 1 WLH
second- 2 world coins (error, and mule)
third- 1 US coin.

One complaint is the cost, which is a bit high.
Second complaint is the complexity of choosing all the options required for grading
Third multiple return shippings.

I can see why people buy pre-graded coins

WTB... errors, New Orleans gold, and circulated 20th key date coins!

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agreed. The time, effort and associated expense to build a shipment is something that many folks who ask to have coins sent in for them forget about.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

I understand its a necessary process, but I do not enjoy anything about it. I would rather have a tooth drilled. I have about 100 coins that I would send in if the process was a little easier...

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,893 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 29, 2016 12:53PM

Agreed, that the price for grading is a tad too high. What if you would want to send in a coin that won't even be worth the price to grade? because you just want that certification from PCGS that it is legit? Oh well, I guess we'll deal with it. After all, the benefits grading by PCGS will outweigh the bad points? PCGS should give their loyal customers a little break though. My 2 Cents
    One More Thing... For your headache, you can take two aspirins along with my two cents. :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

already took 1 gm tylenol.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

The job isn't finished until the paperwork is done.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could try to get them to link the return shipping which they have done for me here and other services. Last week a grading service shipped two expresses to me on the same day, which doubled the cost.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

..... and people wonder why dealers won't drop everything and send in a submission for them.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spent more time overthinking what I should send in, what is a mark vs. a scratch, what might have been cleaned, what grades could possibly be granted, etc.

After tearing my hair out, and changing my mind 6 times, the paperwork is actually easy. :)

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    1TwoBits1TwoBits Posts: 452 ✭✭✭✭

Only 1 hour? Apparently you're an advanced submitter.

Searching for bust quarters.....counterstamps, errors, and AU-MS varieties, please let me know if you can help.
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

The smart dealers I know make few mistakes, choose the cheapest submission option, economy or bulk, getting coins worth $350 or more graded starting at $5 per coin which is what NGC charges on bulk as a start price. Costs drop down on large submissions.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

I totally agree. I'd much prefer a simple submission form where I specify the grading tier and give them a credit card that gets charged eventually. For exonumia especially, there's about zero chance that my description is going to match whatever they want to put on the label in the end.

It's bad ATS, too. This isn't a dig at one or the other, more of a wishful thinking for both.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

"The smart dealers I know make few mistakes, choose the cheapest submission option, economy or bulk, getting coins worth $350 or more graded starting at $5 per coin which is what NGC charges on bulk as a start price. Costs drop down on large submissions."

I just gave PCGS about (100) Walk Throughs this week. The results have started to come in and things are heading in the right direction. Sometimes, it's worth "paying up" for your submissions too (and getting them back in 2 or 3 days). And, yes, the time to write up the orders is often multiple hours.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭

For me the time has been cut down considerably using the on-line submission form.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

You'll never get that hour back. :/

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ProfHaroldHill said:

Ah HA! Now we know why the pop reports are so inaccurate! :#

;)

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TopographicOceans said:
    For me the time has been cut down considerably using the on-line submission form.

Agreed. But there are idiosyncrasies with it as well that can add to the headache!

On my last submission, I noted that were no codes in the online form for "Brown" 2-Cent pieces. After searching, attempting to override, and banging my head against the keyboard for awhile, I finally decided I would submit them as "Red-Brown", and trust they would figure it out themselves. It worked. ;)

Easily distracted Type Collector

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file