Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Odd toning on a BU roll of 1963 D Lincolns

UtahCoinUtahCoin Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was going through a bunch of old BU rolls and found this. Every coin has this silverish blue rim toning. I don't recall seeing this type of toning before. Anyone else? Your thoughts and opinions.

I used to be somebody, now I'm just a coin collector.
Recipient of the coveted "You Suck" award, April 2009 for cherrypicking a 1833 CBHD LM-5, and April 2022 for a 1835 LM-12, and again in Aug 2012 for picking off a 1952 FS-902.

Comments

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,537 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here's one I had. Can't remember the date and I never took a pic of that side.
    bob:)
    photo copper.jpg

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't know why but I do know that they look very attractive! Ala' Jefferson Nicks. B)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    MercfanMercfan Posts: 700 ✭✭

I bought a roll of 1958-D wheats a few years ago, and 20% of the coins in that roll have a similar blue toning. Several are toned deep red, which makes a lovely contrast with the blue rim toning. It's a roll of very nicely struck coins, and I suspect that the paper roll was stored in a moist environment during part of its lifetime. I seem to recall having purchased them from a fellow in Guam.

:)

"Coin collecting problem"? What "coin collecting problem"?
  • Options
    TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have/had a 1938 Lincoln with a silvery area in the CENTER of the coin that was quite pronounced. However, over time it seems to have become more muted, (at least based on my memory of the initial color).

I'll look at it again when I get home, and see if a picture will capture anything.

Anyway, it seems that some conditions or materials can produce silvery toning. But it appears we aren't exactly sure what those conditions or materials ARE!

Easily distracted Type Collector
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

was there anything different about the roll paper than you are used to seeing?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had a roll of 1970-S that looked somewhat similar.
    More purply though.
    Unusual for sure.
    Was it a shotgun roll?

There used to be an old-timer in my area who would wrap his rolls tightly in aluminum foil and then put the roll in a plastic nickel tube.
    Some of the rolls I bought from him had kind of the same look as your coins, but yet again, these coins were still more of a deeper purple/gunmetal blue.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file