Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Gobble Gobble

cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
edited November 27, 2016 3:39PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

Hi All, I had hoped to get this in my mailbox before Turkey Day but as per usual, a day late...

I was able to 'snipe' this uber rare Goetz piece from a German auction since it wasn't attributed to Goetz. Kienast didn't even have an image of this one and had to list the medal with a xerox'd copy of the image from Karl's 'proof book'.

Karl Goetz
K-680
Proof Struck (Privately), Gold Gilded, Bronze 38 mm.,18.5g RRRR (Unique?)
Association of German Cooks, Inc., Berlin—Award Medal 1907.
Obverse: Legend: III. AUSSTELLUNG FÜR / DEUTSCHE KOCHKUNST / UND VERWANDTE GEWERBE / BERLIN 1907 (Third exhibition for German culinary skills and associated trades, Berlin 1907).
Reverse: Legend: VERBAND / DEUTSCHER / KOECHE E • V / BERLIN / FÜR / VER-DIENSTVOLLE / LEISTUNGEN (Association of German Cooks, Inc. Berlin—For meritorious services).

Comments

• cachemancacheman Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2016 3:33PM
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice addition with the typical image that is outstanding

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭

It's unusual (to me at least) due to the prosaic subject matter.
    Goetz's artistic choices for his medals were usually a little more intense emotionally.

Nice addition to the collection!

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super cool, and not at all what I thought the picture would be from the thread title. A turkey yes, but a Goetz turkey??? Never would have thought. Now I'm hungry and all the leftovers disappeared...

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they even have turkeys in Germany at the time?

I'm thinking goose or chicken more likely...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

LordM, you may be right, but it sure looks like a turkey. Perhaps a really fat goose? My husband has cooked a couple geese here and there for the holidays, but they looked less like that big fat bird up there than the turkeys do. In fact, now I'm hoping for goose for Christmas...

• pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

@Stork said:
    LordM, you may be right, but it sure looks like a turkey. Perhaps a really fat goose? My husband has cooked a couple geese here and there for the holidays, but they looked less like that big fat bird up there than the turkeys do. In fact, now I'm hoping for goose for Christmas...

I'll leave the comment to someone more brave than me. ;)

Paul

Whoops.

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 1, 2016 12:27PM

Turkey birds were brought to Spain from Mexico by Spanish Conquistadors and spread throughout Europe.

English people in Elizabethan times believed the birds came from the Ottoman Empire and called them "Turkeys".

There were and are lots of Turkey birds in Germany.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

Well, that's cool to learn! And, now I know why they are called turkeys.