Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did you ever buy a token or medal, and be completely surprised by its size?

DCWDCW Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever purchased a medal or token on a whim, and then upon receiving it, be completely shocked at how big or small it is? Like, you have an image in your head of what it is going to look like, and then you open up the package and ...bam!
This happened to me recently. I purchased this Bryan Money medal, S-900.

For some reason, I thought it was going to be the size of a half dollar. Ahem...

88mm, 160g, struck in zinc. Big boy, size of a coaster, which I would probably use for that purpose if it was a bit cheaper...
Anybody else have a similar experience?

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
"Coin collecting for outcasts..."

Comments

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2016 3:49PM

I was surprised by how large and thick this Gale Vergil Highsmith piece is. At 118 grams, it's nearly 4 troy ounces of .999 silver. The heft is quite nice to hold in hand. Have to get some comparison photos some time.

• Options
    GoldenEggGoldenEgg Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased a piece of Bryan money recently and had the same exact reaction.

On the other hand, I recently purchased an early 20th century US Mint medal, thinking it was 3 inches in diameter. When it arrived, it turned out to be much smaller. This smaller version is much rarer and there is only one other known.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have an example regarding weight rather than size. I bought a set of three US Mint medals from Heritage, all slabbed ATS, in copper, silver, and platinum. The silver and platinum pieces are the same size and more or less the same color, so they look basically the same from arm's length... but the platinum piece weighs almost twice as much as the same size silver piece!

I knew that platinum is an incredibly dense metal, but I didn't "know" it until I picked up these two pieces. The difference is night-and-day obvious, even with the added weight of the slabs.

• Options
    COCollectorCOCollector Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was pleasantly surprised this silver "Mayan Calendar" has the same 3-inch (76 mm) diameter as a 5 oz ATB.

From Barrely Living Silver Castings

Successful BST transactions with forum members thebigeng, SPalladino, Zoidmeister, coin22lover, coinsarefun, jwitten, CommemKing.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh yes, I sure have. I purchased this 1948 NorthWest paper company SCD that I thought was 38mm and voila here is what I got. My fault though, should have read better before buying. Great lesson.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file