Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The 'From A Sealed Case' Thing. FASC

It ruined my want to buy or own anything, anything, up to 1983 without that designation. Unless it has the Fritsch/BBCE seal of approval of course. Outside of that the trust of it being a true box is simply non existent for any product. Anyone else ?

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭

i only can appreciate the fasc on cello and rack...wax never bothers me with or without that designation.

if you want a true FASC designation...you also want one without the black line on the lid too...those couldve been pieced together in the stores before being put into the cases at the factory after the return.

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Need some enlightenment. FASC?

Kevin

• Options
    Gemyanks10Gemyanks10 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭
    edited November 26, 2016 5:05PM

@LOTSOS said:
    Need some enlightenment. FASC?

"From a sealed case"...BBCE uses that designation when pulling wax boxes out of sealed cases, labeling the boxes as such once wrapped and authenticated. Adds some value, as the provenance of the box is better known.

Edited to say too that it is known at that point also that all packs are original to the box and not "pieced together" with random packs from multiple sources...to some, myself included, it's a big deal and definitely a more sought after box.

Always looking for OPC "tape intact" baseball wax boxes, and 1984 OPC baseball PSA 10's for my set. Please PM or email me if you have any available.
  • Options
    NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭

It has definitely influenced my approach to the hobby. I still collect both, though the vast majority of my unopened collection is 80s. I am more on the hunt for sealed cases than ever before. And since I was never very learned in the sequence game, it takes care of that concern for rack and cello for me.

I do now understand that many of the longer time collectors have FASC product without the designation as it wasn't common practice for BBCE to denote as such until just a 3-5 years ago if I'm. It mistaken.

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

It's like look at that friggin 70K 1986 Fleer Basketball box on BBCE now. That is nuts of course but there would be absolute zero chance 'buying a 1986 Fleer Basketball box' without such a FASC designation. No matter what. I trust that box of course as it's the most investigated box I;ve seen out there in years, but just by BBCE needing to state all that clarity eliminates other boxes and anything else down to my level from buying unless FASC.

GAI ??

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OddRodz said:
    It's like look at that friggin 70K 1986 Fleer Basketball box on BBCE now. That is nuts of course but there would be absolute zero chance 'buying a 1986 Fleer Basketball box' without such a FASC designation. No matter what. I trust that box of course as it's the most investigated box I;ve seen out there in years, but just by BBCE needing to state all that clarity eliminates other boxes and anything else down to my level from buying unless FASC.

GAI ??

Thanks Genyanks for sharing your knowledge.

OddRodz I'm not familiar with that box but your post got me thinking.... What about the other 11 boxes? Is there a story to the whole case?

Kevin

• Options
    PorkinsPorkins Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

I could be wrong but I believe I smell bunt

• Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

Lotsos, the box I was referring to is here: http://bbcexchange.com/1986_87_Fleer_Basketball_Unopened_Wax_Box-ITEM2241.aspx. The thoughts I'm giving here aren't regarding a case as a whole, or this specific box in itself. Was just pointing out that if there is a need to describe the contents of the box as much as BBCE did for that one, other 1986 Fleer boxes on the market could be all pieced together, unless,,, marked as FASC. This specific box is trying to get 70k, verse other 1986 Fleer boxes I've seen at auctions doing around 35k or so. Am just a big fan of the FASC stuff. It saves me from buying boxes of stuff and being disappointed by finding a pack in the middle that has a store price tag on it, in example.

If a box is advertised as '1978 Topps Baseball full box with 36 packs' that's the kind of stuff I stay away from now.

Porkins, I think all those Topps Bunt products are all modern stuff. Wouldn't be concerned about those boxes being messed with. Have you seen or heard differently ? It would be surprising something modern like that fits here.

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

Is topps all that searchable wax wise? I know the fleer 86 was possible in basketball, but I don't think there is FASC needed every time in every sport. Using the 1980 topps baseball as an example; does it command a higher price point because Henderson was easy to locate without opening any packs?
    All that I can worry about in this example is that someone opened 10 and found a Henderson and then moved onto the next box, making a "Frankenstein box".

I think the easiest tell tale is vending personally and I think FASC isn't needed there.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

There are plenty of FASC boxes out there not labeled as such, especially late 70s to early 80s (or even more modern for football and basketball)... lots of old dealers unloading inventory as well as older BBCE wrapped boxes. Can be like finding a needle in a haystack, but patience and deligence (and the ability to see the product in hand) does sometimes pay off.

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

There are 2 schools of thinking. If you want reassurance and security along with knowledge, it's pretty much a no-brainer. You WANT the designation if you don't plan to open the box. Fine. They look great in a stack.

The other side of it, however, leads us to understand that there are still opportunities out there, though minimal, to acquire quality material without the added responsibility of authentication. Additionally, some folks prefer to actually look at, touch, handle and admire the contents of a box. I happen to be one of those people.

I have plenty enough BBCE boxes to offer me comfort in times of despair. But nothing beats the thrill of seeing and holding something tangible.

• Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

I don't generally buy in person (pretty much all my purchases are online) and while the FASC reassures me, it's hard for me to cough up the premium that some of the (in particular early) material warrants. I generally don't open my boxes (although sometimes I cave in and do, but within limits), so for me there is not much of a difference as I'm not hoping to pull a PSA 10 Murray or Henderson Rookie. I'm buying unopened boxes for what they are, mementos to the time that such boxes and packs such as these were offered for sale in stores around the country.

That said, I think BBCE would do the collector community a tremendous favor by making some sort of annotation if packs appear to be original to a specific box; kind of like what they did with the 1986/87 Fleer box linked above. As I understand it the way the wrappers are centered and overall condition of the packs is a good indication of that; it would be great if Steve would mark something like that on the label.

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

I didn't buy any unopened until getting on these forums. I think everything I have is FASC, and most, if not all, from breaks on this board and other members. As a novice, wouldn't touch anything else. I've read enough on these forums to know better, and I don't have the time to educate myself on what is sequenced and what is not, or how to spot a Frankenstein.

I do know that if an '86 Box of Fleer basketball is for sale, and it is NOT FASC, you can be assured it's been picked 99% of the time. I do know that 95% of the stuff without BBCE seal on e-bay is bogus. I do know that if a listing says "I've had these in my possession the entire time"; it's fake.

However, I'm now sorting through my collection from the early 80's/late 70's, and I'm considering buying some stuff to rip to complete ultra high end sets. I will be less concerned about FASC for rip purposes. I'll lower my guard and buy BBCE sealed stuff. I'll never buy anything not BBCE sealed.

I've never bought vending, but getting close to placing some bids on early 80's stuff that is BBCE sealed.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

In regards to 86 Fleer basketball, I don't think there has ever been a FASC labeled box... there's never been a sealed case brought to market since Steve began labeling boxes that way. The one he has listed is as good as it gets for that product.