Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1988 Topps Football cases.....

I've got a line on some supposedly sealed '88 cases. The guy says he has 2 - '88 wax cases and 1 - '88 cello case. I see OPC had them for sale for like $700 and BBCE buys for $400. I would buy them for resale as well as to keep some boxes (prob BBCE wrapped to get best return). What would you think would be a fair price on these? Thanks!

Comments

• coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭

$1500 for the trio is fair for buyer and seller

• 146 views and only 1 comment? I'm sure more out there have better experience with current case values than myself....please comment if you have any more insight to your idea of a good/fair price on these cases. Do you think they will appreciate in the future? I don't see many available for sale out there currently.... Thanks again!

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think coinspacks answered the question you asked in the OP pretty accurately.

As for future value, late 80s product was produced in massive amounts, so I wouldn't bank on significant returns in the near future, though prices may rise or fall depending on the value of the cards within the set and what they may command in higher grade. I don't believe anyone can predict with any degree of certainty other than speculation such performance one way or another.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Are the cases X out or non X out? That makes a big difference on price on the cello case.
    If I had the option, $1200 would be my offer. Condition and whether the cases are returns are not would alter the price potentially.

• I was thinking the same thing on the X-Out or non. I don't know yet since I forgot to ask and I am trying to just see them for myself, but the communications have been slow and they are a little ways away so meeting up has been difficult. I figure if they are truly non X-out and I had them wrapped, the FASC premium should be worth a little bit. I haven't seen many if any FASC wax or cello boxes on the bay lately. Anybody have a history or Idea what they might sell like?

just have to consider the shipping cost to bbce, the shipping cost from bbce, and the bbce wrapping costs too.

• TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

This set has one great card - The Bo Jackson rookie. I don't see much appreciation of any other cards in the set, so you're hoping for appreciation based on one card. That would be my concern for investing in this set.

• Investment wise I don't see a huge return. In my experience these boxes tend to appreciate because they are fun for those that want to rip a box and pull Rice, Elway, Marino, and others but don't want to do it buying 84-86 boxes. If you do purchase I'd like to add a cello box to my collection if you plan to part with any.

#CROWNED

2015 World Series Champions
    2018 Worst Minor League System In Baseball
    #FIREDAYTONMOORE
  • vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

If you can scoop at 12-1300, I'd keep a wax case, sealed and send 1 plus the cello to BBCE. Trade a few of each to cover shipping and wrapping, and reduce return shipping and cash outlay. Then keep what you want and sell balance on BST or eBay. This should recoup most of investment and leave a case in your hands for a few years down road when you want to realize profit.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • MantleFan23MantleFan23 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭

The BBCE buy price is a decent "guide" on what to pay for. However, what you need to keep in mind is the costs associated with wrapping these boxes ($5 per box), shipping back and forth to BBCE, and that you will probably be sitting on it for a while. So, if you'd offer to buy these cases, I'd probably offer approximately $100 less than the BBCE buy price (or more when you are considering the shipping factor).

I did something similar with another product and it worked out for me as my wife's family lives close to BBCE so I was able to drop off/pick up on family visits. While I made a decent profit, it was a lot of work between shipping to people, buying supplies, and postage costs.

Not trying to sway you against doing it, but just keep in mind the above facts when considering the purchase.

Good luck!
    Jeremy

• Thanks so far for all of the imputs. I live about 3 hrs from BBCE and have a few other things I might take so hopefully I would just drop off and pick up to save a bit. I think he is holding pretty hard at $500 per so I have some thinking to do. He says he is "way too low" on them already and doesn't want to go any lower right now. Not sure where his thoughts on the prices come from? Problem is, I can't find any other cases for sale on the 'net so it seems as if they are a bit hard to find. As for appreciation, I wasn't in the game a few years ago, what could these cases be had for then? Might give me a guage on possible appreciation????

edited November 27, 2016 6:46PM

i think they were $288 per case back in 1988

• ndleondleo Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭✭✭

The wax case on the OPC site is an X-out I think. It is stamped Final Sale, so that leads me to believe the boxes are X-outs.

If the wax boxes are non-X out, $500/case or $25 per box is a fair price. The popularity of this box is totally based on the Bo Jackson and the decent break value. Even if you don't get a Bo, hitting on a few PSA 10's of the second tier rookies - Kevin Greene (HOF), Testaverde, Boz, Jerome Brown, Cornelius Bennett - can still make you a few bucks. That puts a cap on how much the boxes will appreciate since people will never pay big dollars for 1988 Football since the inherent value is the low price.

I haven't seen a 1988 Topps FB Wax FASC box sell in a while, but I'm guessing that you could get $60/box on ebay all in (or $59.99) if you did a BIN. It would take a few months but I believe they would all sell.

Take out S&H ($10/box), Ebay/Paypal fees, BBCE fees (assuming drive drop off) and the box cost, you have about $12/box gross profit.

Mike
  • daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a way to tell if the boxes are x-out without opening the case?

Alex Relyea

• @ndleo said:
    The wax case on the OPC site is an X-out I think. It is stamped Final Sale, so that leads me to believe the boxes are X-outs.

If the wax boxes are non-X out, $500/case or $25 per box is a fair price. The popularity of this box is totally based on the Bo Jackson and the decent break value. Even if you don't get a Bo, hitting on a few PSA 10's of the second tier rookies - Kevin Greene (HOF), Testaverde, Boz, Jerome Brown, Cornelius Bennett - can still make you a few bucks. That puts a cap on how much the boxes will appreciate since people will never pay big dollars for 1988 Football since the inherent value is the low price.

I haven't seen a 1988 Topps FB Wax FASC box sell in a while, but I'm guessing that you could get $60/box on ebay all in (or $59.99) if you did a BIN. It would take a few months but I believe they would all sell.

Take out S&H ($10/box), Ebay/Paypal fees, BBCE fees (assuming drive drop off) and the box cost, you have about $12/box gross profit.

Bingo, exactly.
    I would buy and stash for the future. These cases are not common.