Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Italian Medal - Henri de La Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne

Henri de La Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne

by Giovanni Hamerani

Bronze, 50.9 mm Ø, 56.3 g

Obverse: Bust of Henri de La Tour d'Auvergne facing left, wearing laurel wreath and armor. Around, PR · HENR · A · TVR ARV · VIC · TVREN . On truncation, HAMERANVS .

Reverse: Three allegorical figures standing. On the left, Valor, with helmet, breastplate, shield, and spear. In the center, Honor, with cornucopia and spear. On the right, Justice, with balance and overturned cornucopia. Around, corresponding to each of the figures, VIRTVS · HONOS · AEQVITAS .

Henri de La Tour d'Auvergne, Vicomte de Turenne, was born in Sedan in 1611. He was the son of Henri de La Tour d'Auvergne, vicomte de Turenne, duc de Bouillon and Elizabeth of Nassau. After his father died in 1623, Turenne was send to learn the art of war with his maternal uncles Maurice and Frederick Henry. Starting in 1630, he was in the service of the French and led various campaigns. He was made a marshal of France in 1643 and was appointed marshal-general of the camps and armies of the King in 1660. On July 27, 1675, While examining a position on the Rhine, Turenne was killed by a cannon shot. A simple and modest man who was respected by his soldiers, he showed great prowess in war, using calculation, reflection, and technique to perform skillfully in his endeavors.

References: Börner (Berlin) n. 1285; Johnson (Johnson) n. 170; Vannel & Toderi (Bargello) n. 645-646

Comments

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love this medal. Exceptional!

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sharp!!! Very handsome.

And another "hockey puck", too, I see. Your cabinet must be quite impressive.

(For surely these must be in a cabinet, yes?)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November 24, 2016 8:38AM

Impressive piece Joe with a wonderfully classic reverse design. At first glance I missed the obverse sig of Giovanni Hamerani, a member of the family who produced so many great papal medals. And the style is certainly consistent with the fine products of the family.

Thanks for sharing and the write up.

PS, FWIW I did find another online but with a different finish/patina from Hedley Betts:

http://www.mcssl.com/store/8596432/undated-circa-1675-france-henri-de-la-tour-dauvergne-vicomte-turenne-marshall-of-france-by-giovanni-hamerani

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

@lordmarcovan said:
    Sharp!!! Very handsome.

And another "hockey puck", too, I see. Your cabinet must be quite impressive.

(For surely these must be in a cabinet, yes?)

Unfortunately, certain realities prevent them from being housed in a proper cabinet. It would be wonderful to have something such as this:

(early 19th century British medal cabinet in the collection of the Met Museum)

@STLNATS said:
    Impressive piece Joe with a wonderfully classic reverse design. At first glance I missed the obverse sig of Giovanni Hamerani, a member of the family who produced so many great papal medals. And the style is certainly consistent with the fine products of the family.

Indeed, it's interesting to see a non-papal medal from Giovanni (and larger and, IMO, more impressive than many of the papal pieces of the time).

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

A beautiful medal depicting a great general.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC