Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New Project - 1956 Topps Baseball

I was talking with my 11(soon to be 12 year old) after I returned home from the Chicago show, and I was able to pick some stuff up for him - graded cards and some modern boxes to rip. I also submitted some cards for him, and he was asking if he could sell some stuff so he could try to bump his 1956 Aaron PSA 6 to a 7. We got to talking and he said that it would be neat to put together the 1956 Topps set since it is such a great set with the colors and images. We decided that from a cost standpoint we would look at commons and minor stars in PSA 6/7, and do the major stars like Mantle, Mays, Aaron, Williams, Banks... in PSA 8 or higher.

Got started this week with about 10 cards that fit the bill - strong centering, bold colors, corners are pretty good. Should be fun to do, and won't cost Junior his freshman and sophomore year of college! Enjoy.

Comments

• Options

Simple stories like this make me wish I had a son. I hope you two enjoy the journey.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    Simple stories like this make me wish I had a son. I hope you two enjoy the journey.

Me too, of course I hope my girls take care of me and my cards when I'm old and feeble.

good luck with it, can't wait to see the progress.

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    bouncebounce Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

it's a GREAT SET! you're gonna have fun!

• Options

KendallCat, Thanks for sharing your nice story. What a wonderful father-son project. I wish you both well. ---Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

This sounds like a great father/son project. Are you you trying to keep the set all grey backs or will the back color not be an issue? The 56 set is one of my favorites. I have been picking up a few of the HOF players over the last several months. Good luck and have fun.
    James

• Options
    ElvisPElvisP Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭

Great set, but I think doing the stars in 8 may at least cost him his freshman year, LOL. Good luck!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe but I already have the Mantle in PSA 8 and 6.5 so I have at least the toughest card price wise out of the way!