Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

SOLD! (1 big 501-pc lot) *** LordM's Private Reserve*** - "The Mother of All World Coin Bulk Lots"!

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happy Thanksgiving, Darksiders!

It is my 40th anniversary as a numismatist tomorrow! :)

I owe Zohar a little money, and the piggybank is feeling pretty light. In other words, business as usual.

This time It got down to "hmmm, let's see... what can I put up for a quick sale to buy my latest Box of 20 newp?"

Recently Ladymarcovan cleaned off the clutter from our kitchen/dining room table, which is the only workspace in our tiny quarters. She had been pestering me to do that for at least a month or two. Oops. But hey... she found some cool stuff, coin-wise! There was even a still-sealed bubble mailer from Ajaan postmarked July of 2014! Inside was a $60-ish slabbed coin. I recognized it- it was one from my old 1901 Victoria type set, so how it got from me to Ajaan and back again, who knows. Neither one of us remembered. The very fact that we had a two-year-old archaeological stratum here on our table alone should tell you something about the usual state of housekeeping in the LordM household, despite Ladymarcovan's best effort, but hey- we both work full time jobs. (FWIW, I bought her a nice kitchen mixer she had been wanting, to get myself out of the doghouse, so it's all good now.)

So, you were no doubt wondering when I would get to the point.

Tonight I went through the stuff in my drawers and the archaeological deposit from the table.

I found all the stuff I'd been holding back for myself to go through one of these days. The more interesting stuff.

But that day never seems to have come. SO, I'm gonna let 'em go... essentially unpicked.

What we have here is a bulk lot of 500 World coins.

Old and new. I would estimate at least half- maybe a bit more than half- of this stuff is older material. Is there some junk and modern stuff in here? Of course. It's an essentially unpicked bulk lot. Are there lots of goodies and some excellent cherrypicking potential? You bet there is!

There are, as mentioned, 500 pieces, from all over the world.

This lot is uncataloged. Basically I set aside anything that looked like it could be good- and this is a 5-6 year accumulation.

Every coin is in a Mylar 2x2, stapled with a flat-clinch stapler, but 95% of the holders are still blank.

1700s? I saw a couple. Not very many. The really old stuff is often culls or slicks, as you'd expect.

1800s? This lot is CHOCK FULL of coins from the 1800s, not to mention the early 1900s.

Silver? Not very much, but I did see a few stray pieces.

Gold? Haha. This is Thanksgiving, not Christmas. I ain't Santa Claus (though I do try to please).

UNCs? Yes, there are Uncirculated coins. Maybe not all of them modern, either.

Proofs? Yep, a few, with the moderns. Most if not all of the ones I noticed were from Jamaica.

Mystery coins? Sure. There are some that were a mystery to me. But not a ton of Islamic and Asian- it's mostly European.

I will toss in the coin that was in that forgotten package from Ajaan. See below.

I am asking $300.00 for this lot.

That works out to 60 cents per coin. At first blush, that might sound steep for bulk world coins, but consider these are in the 2x2s, ready to be looked up and labeled, and remember, this is the "cream I skimmed off the top" of a good many other bulk lots, without actually looking anything up. At one time, I was perched atop a 60-lb heap like Smaug the Dragon in The Hobbit.

Furthermore, you get free Priority Mail shipping to US addresses. (If you're outside the USA, I have to charge you actual postage cost, but I'll cover the first $15.00 of that- you pay any additional.)

And you get the "forgotten" coin Ladymarcovan found in that sealed bubble mailer on the table.

Here's the freebie.

It is a (British) India 1/4 anna, 1901 (C), NGC MS64 RB.

That's a sixty-plus-dollar bonus coin right there, by itself, making the total lot 501 pieces.

Sorry I don't have any pix of the bonus coin except the really, really wretched ones I stole - er - borrowed - from the NGC cert page. Their poorly focused pictures make it look like it has a super squishy strike. It does not. In hand, it's as sharp as you would expect. It was struck at the Calcutta mint and trends $60.00 in MS60. It's pretty much full Red but mellowed a bit with traces of some faint, mottled brownish toning around the peripheries, mostly on the upper part of the obverse. Luster is fairly subdued, as Brit India copper of this era tends to be, but it does have "cartwheel" effect flashes when rotated in the light. Eye appeal is average to good.

SATISFACTION ABSOLUTELY GUARANTEED.

If this does not turn out to be the best bulk lot you've bought in years, contact me, and I'll make it good.

But I think this lot will give you hours and hours of cherrypicking and cataloging fun.

~RWS/"LM

PS- cash poor? I know the feeling. Tell you what- I really only owe $250 on the coin I'm trying to buy from Zohar, so if you can do that much in cash (PayPal), I'm willing to barter for the other $50 if it helps.

PPS- OK, here are some quickie cellphone shots. (Hey, whaddya know- my pic of the Indian coin is just as awful as NGC's.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options

Have I mentioned how much I utterly loathe the editor on this new platform?

Hmm... yeah, I think I have.

I never did get the post above the way I wanted it, and shouted at my poor innocent monitor a few times.

To be fair, there are some improvements. But the formatting sucks.

This is why I'm moving my Box of 20 collection and other essentials over to CoinTalk.

But enough with the rant.

Psst- @magazineman - if you're still around- John, you would enjoy this lot. It's better than the ones I sold you in the past.

(OK, yeah- that "tagging a user" thing is an improvement. But I'm still far from sold on the new joint. Sorry.)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    GotTheBugGotTheBug Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 26, 2019 10:00AM

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,124 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree, de-rubber band those stacks.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    danglendanglen Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

OK Rob, I'll bite. Send me details on how you want to get paid.

danglen

My Website

"Everything I have is for sale except for my wife and my dog....and I'm not sure about one of them."
  • Options

The rubber bands are for transit only and as of this post have been on those stacks all of eight hours. I'm sure it'll be fine.

This lot has SOLD.

• Options
    tychojoetychojoe Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

@LordM, that was a bold and admirable decision, and a generous package. (Epic fotos, too, BTW)

And for @danglen, have fun! Probably some goodies for Black Mountain, too?

The "LordM Private Reserve" - is this a great hobby or what? B)

• Options

All of that bought me this. :)

Blowin' out all of that stuff in bulk saved me a TON of work, too, of course. That kind of work used to be a joy, but now I find different uses for my numismatic free time.