Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pwcc description

Is it a new thing with Pwcc having in their description that they are not a 3rd party grader and go with whatever it is graded etc etc..... maybe I just haven't seen it before. Does that mean they think it is over or under graded?

Comments

• Options
    epatmythesepatmythes Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

They've probably had a rash of returns... most likely people who over spent, shouldn't have bought, etc... and tried to say they didn't agree with the grade or something like that. Now, to try to curb those type of people from bidding/buying, they're just adding another form of disclaimer.

Don't think it means they think it's over or under graded... more likely they are tired of people trying to send stuff back because they "don't agree with the grade"

Just guessing though... but I can personally attest, there are enough people out there that try to pull that BS!

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love their descriptions :) I have seen 4 of the same card/year/grade in the last 2-3 months where they have stated "the finest PSA 8 we have ever brokered in our history". I am starting to think they are running out of things to say about cards because almost every listing reads the same these days.

One way to decipher whether a card is truly nice or not is to look for the tell tale signs. If it is the finest they have ever brokered it is pretty decent or has their PWCC HE designation. If it is described as having "chipless edges and flawless surface" that is like someone telling you your blind date is really funny and plays piano - run away. :D

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

I think the 3rd party grading disclaimer has been around for awhile. KendallCat is correct, and it comes with the territory of having monthly auctions and 15,000 items. Not sure how you can't have the same wording for some of these cards; impossible.

I always fall for the "best card we've brokered in a year" line. Gets a snipe from me every time.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Yup the HE designation got me on the Clemente 4.5 last night. Excited to get it in hand though...... sure looks like a beauty

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 23, 2016 8:36AM

Ed - I looked at the Clemente 4.5 and it looks like a nice card; however, the fact it did not jump up in price is what kept me away. Kind of like the hot girl dancing by herself at the club at 11pm with nobody asking her to dance - makes you wonder what the issue is if she is still alone that late into the night :D Hope the card is a screamer - either way you got a great price on it.

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

I'd give them a pass, because it's an awful lot of nice cards they have to describe; by the numbers alone, surely there are a handful that are the best of the best, but that's where the high end sticker comes in. Doesn't mean the next 10-20-30 examples of a given card, that might be JUST technically not as nice, but are still pretty, deserve short shrift. And even if a card may not look great (say a high-demand rookie, but it's "only" VG with a bad corner) it still is what it is. Pictures should tell the story for the most part anyway. :)

• Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭✭

As to that '55 Clemente -- congrats on the purchase Ed! I mean I really can't see anything from the scans to explain the grade -- would love to hear your opinion when you have it in hand. From the description, I would imagine that the central area of the card, when rotated in light, might show interruption of the gloss, combined with what is probably a hard to spot corner wrinkle or crease. Combine all that with the centering, and let's just say it's quite a bit better than mine, a more typical VG example! :)

• Options

I expect that surface wear is the reason for the grade and may be more evident when I have it in hand..... as far as the hot girl dancing all alone.... sometimes others just don't realize how hot she is and you end up hitting a grand slam.......... of course she could be hot but crazy (like a slight crease etc) and you don't see it until you got her home! Lol

• Options
    VintagemanEdVintagemanEd Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Anyone here get the either of the Hank Aaron rcs from Pwcc last nigh?

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭
    Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    allmymoneytocardsallmymoneytocards Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November 23, 2016 9:19PM

Anyone see this one end last night, lol.

ebay.com/itm/1954-Topps-Hank-Aaron-ROOKIE-RC-128-PSA-7-NRMT-PWCC-/142177026548?rmvSB=true&rmvSB=true

Is it me or isn't the above card the same exact card as the one below that ended on June 12, 2016 (same psa cert). Oh, wow, correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks like the guy who won on June 12th was bidding up the auction from last night. What a joke? This happens all of the time with PWCC auctions. I don't know what's real or what's fake anymore. One offs can happen, but please...it happens all of the time. And this is just the most obvious type of shills. Sure, someone is going to come on here and say the guy had sellers remorse and wanted to buy his card back.. yeah right! "

ebay.com/itm/1954-Topps-Hank-Aaron-ROOKIE-RC-128-PSA-7-NRMT-PWCC-/401130680730?rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=pbWsVgkC5wCARmEVyBICM6zQiqw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Options

fixed the links that oddly stopped working in the post above

• Options
    secretstashsecretstash Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭✭

@allmymoneytocards said:
    Anyone see this one end last night, lol.

ebay.com/itm/1954-Topps-Hank-Aaron-ROOKIE-RC-128-PSA-7-NRMT-PWCC-/142177026548?rmvSB=true&rmvSB=true

Is it me or isn't the above card the same exact card as the one below that ended on June 12, 2016 (same psa cert). Oh, wow, correct me if i'm wrong, but it looks like the guy who won on June 12th was bidding up the auction from last night. What a joke? This happens all of the time with PWCC auctions. I don't know what's real or what's fake anymore. One offs can happen, but please...it happens all of the time. And this is just the most obvious type of shills. Sure, someone is going to come on here and say the guy had sellers remorse and wanted to buy his card back.. yeah right! "

ebay.com/itm/1954-Topps-Hank-Aaron-ROOKIE-RC-128-PSA-7-NRMT-PWCC-/401130680730?rmvSB=true&nma=true&si=pbWsVgkC5wCARmEVyBICM6zQiqw%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Looks like he took a $3,000 bath. Unless I missed something?

• Options

assuming it was legit in the first place... lot's of very deep baths these days... coupled with shills from past winners of same cards...

• Options
    SOMSOM Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭

If he was shilling his own card to make up for his inflated purchase, why did he stop at $3,500 less than his original price?

• Options
    allmymoneytocardsallmymoneytocards Posts: 16 ✭✭
    edited November 24, 2016 8:34AM

I have no idea why he stopped. By the way, his last bid was $5,144 and the winning bid was $5,578 in this last auction. The question is why was he bidding on his own card? Better yet, why did PWCC allow it? You did see that it is the same PSA Cert number, didn't you? Are you saying him bidding on his own card is not Shilling? Shilling happens all of the time on PWCC auctions and people always make excuses. It's pretty hard to get out of the many examples of when it is the exact same PSA Cert number and past winner. There's many other examples out there but much tougher to prove when it's a different PSA Cert. As I said before, this is just the most obvious type of shilling.

You can name any popular card and go back and look at the history and see tons of examples of questionable bidding, huge losses, etc... To be honest, I don't even know if this card was won by a legit bidder or if it was won originally in a legit manner. Hard to know what's true or false these days with all of the fraud. The amount of price manipulation is appalling. It only takes one legit buyer to come in and buy at these inflated prices to make it worthwhile.

• Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

A lot of prices have cooled from the summer time period for sure. The Psa 7 Aaron rookie is nice but centering
    probably did not attract aggressive bidders again.
    I think the Clemente rookie 4.5 was nice. Looks like the center of the card is where most the issues are. It is probably
    accurately graded but eye appeal makes it a nice looking card for sure. Congrats on the pickup.

I overpaid and was happy to do so a week or so ago this 52 Bowman Mantle. Got a finger indentation on the right
    side that is more noticeable on the back. Corners are nice with bottom left being soft.

aconte

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

It is entirely possible that any card could be bought, flipped, then repurchased at a lower price point. Not saying that happened with the Aaron RC PSA 7, just a theory. The attention being given to high profile cards brought a lot of people in, and they could just as easily have bailed out. The game of adjusting for inflation is only beginning.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

That's definite shilling, I would wager there's less than a 1% chance it wasn't... but only Brent would know. While PCC is a great service and always has great items, their sale prices are not a good determinant of value. Honestly, to try and determine value from ebay sales... I would deduct at least 12% because that's more in line with what the seller pocketed. But with collectibles in general, demand plays a much higher role than supply... so there will always be large spikes/dips in prices.