Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Selling: The ONLY PAIR of Business Strike Massachusetts State Quarters both grading PCGS-MS69 ! Read

Here they are:

1. 2000-P Massachusetts (PCGS-MS69) (pop 2/0). I sold the other coin to one of the "top 2" State Quarter sets if memory serves me right.

2. 2000-D Massachusetts (PCGS-MS69) (pop 1/0) - I believe this is the ONLY "Denver" business strike State Quarter that PCGS ever graded MS69 in the first three years of State Quarter program (1999-2001).

Serious inquiries only please. My consignor (with his father's permission) is born in the year 2000 (16 years old) and wants to sell his birth year coins to raise money for college. I put the set together for the boy at his birth.

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a question for you @wondercoin

Why aren't you adding these jewels to your #1 Quarter set? (Do you care to share)
    Any pictures?

Thanks, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paul. Hi. I'll give you the long answer. :)

From Day 1 with State quarters, I decided that I simply wanted a top 5 collection so I could supply the coins to a couple very special customers of mine that had higher pursuits in the series (and for example this important customer who wanted the finest year 2000 coins). To the contrary, I always planned long term to have a #1 Clad quarter collection (1965-1998) - a collection where many of my coins are "homemade" from 30 years of my personal mint set and roll searches. And, I figured I would have a top 2 or 3 Silver quarter set as well.

Of course, it would all blend into quite possibly the #1 business strike set overall of 1932-2008 (or date) quarters which I was happy to pursue (including major varieties only). You see, most of the top silver quarter collectors stop in 1964 and most (not all) of the top clad and state quarter collectors do not pursue the silvers seriously. These three different quarter sets are just too costly on there own for most to pursue in pop top grade across the board. Then, on top of that throw in 2009-date set; a fourth collection now that is very difficult on its own in top grade. I elected to chase that set as well with an eye towards a top 3 set. I believe both the #1 and 2 state quarter sets stopped in 2008 and elected not to pursue the Territories or the National Parks.

A few things happened along the way - David Poole deciding to sell his sensational silver quarter set allowing me to become #1 for a few years now and at least one top state quarter collector selling out allowing me to move up to #4 there (where I am very content to remain). So, for now, I am #1 in silvers (and still expect to be 2 or 3 just as I predicted down the road), #1 in clads (very tough to beat in the next 5-10 years) and #4 in state quarters (I could end up 3,4 or 5 in the next year or two as I hoped). Overall, a solid #1 in 1932-2008 for Mint State quarters with major varieties I suspect. I think I am also now #2 or 3 in 2009-date business strikes as well (further annual torture - DR you were so smart to stop in 2008!).

And, hats off to the wonderful quarter collectors that have the top quarter sets with complete varieties. An amazing achievement in those registry sets as well.

That all said - no one will capture these (2) state quarter treasures "on the cheap". I've grown to really like this young man and will make sure he does well with these two special coins. I know he has a target price for the two coins and if no one wants to pay it, I might just wake up one day and grab my checkbook ;)

Wondercoin.

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 20, 2016 9:39PM

Wondercoin, I fully expected to get a "Long" answer and you didn't disappoint. Hopefully they will end up with you.

Something is a miss when it comes to high grade moderns, especially with the dimes. I find it puzzling that so many of the SHQ's have a lofty grade of MS69, and to boot several dates of Lincolns come in 69RD, and even some of the Kennedys, but when it comes to Roosevelts, only a small handful have reached MS69FB. To date only 3 years and that is it. W/O looking, I believe there is 1 SHQ that has a pop of over 60 specimens in MS69. Not sure if this is quality, amt. of coins being subbed (Quarters tons more than Dimes), metal content (I believe it to be the same for all clads except Nickels), or just the way they are graded, but it is a question that has eluded me. I may have brought this subject up in the past, but not sure. What is your insight into this???

BTW, I believe you were the one that subbed most of the 69FB's.

Later, Paul.