Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

"Hairs" on edges of Mint cards - problem?

Just broke boxes of 1980 baseball and hit 2 Rickeys and 2 Ryans that I want to send in for grading. When inspecting with a 10x loupe, I can see that there are microscopic "haris" here and there on the edges (sticking out I mean).

Question is whether this is the sort of things that makes a possible 10 into a 9 and if so, any thoughts on wisdom or stupidity of trying to smooth them out?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    StamkosFanStamkosFan Posts: 255 ✭✭✭

Fuzz or hairs on edges does not affect grade.

• Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭

It shouldn't affect grade, but I would advise against removing. Not knowing how long or where the other end of the fibers go, you could chip away at the white borders which will affect the grade. Good luck with the sub!

• Options
    Dand522612Dand522612 Posts: 417 ✭✭✭

do not remove I would consider it an indicator of pack fresh. I kind of like the fuzz

• Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

Would love to see some scans. Always love to see some pack fresh cards!

• Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

some call the hair like look a "hanging chad"

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

I braid them.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

What about the small flares clinging to the corners? That seems to be a chronic issue with 1980 Topps and more noticeable than the fibers on the edge. I've never tried submitting them but wonder if I should or if anyone knows if PSA downgrades for that.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    tmgrnzx9rtmgrnzx9r Posts: 546 ✭✭✭

Tim,
    Im pretty sure that mrpeanut39 has submitted some 83 topps with the hanging chad on the corner before and has received a 10 with that still intact.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tmgrnzx9r said:
    Tim,
    Im pretty sure that mrpeanut39 has submitted some 83 topps with the hanging chad on the corner before and has received a 10 with that still intact.

Thanks, T.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.