Home U.S. & World Currency Forum

$5 series 1969A green seal misaligned serial number *****Added full view of bill*******

MasterGunsMasterGuns Posts: 408 ✭✭
edited November 20, 2016 5:48AM in U.S. & World Currency Forum

Gents

Completely new to the currency side and could use some help evaluating this bill. While I think it is way cool, others may not. The last digit is supposed to be a 6 but the wheel did not fully advance. Under my loop I can see a few specs of green for the upper portion of the 6. Any suggestions what to do with this?

Added a full view of the bill. Sorry it took a couple of days

Ray

Semper Fi,
Ray

MGySgt USMC(ret)
1979-2003
Aviation Radar Technician
Communications & Electronics Chief

Comments

• boimre1972boimre1972 Posts: 262 ✭✭✭

Is the other serial number the same way? Can you give us a full view of the note?

Mike
    Collecting small-size star notes.
    Mishawaka, IN
  • TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2016 6:39PM

That is nick named a Gas Pump error. The digit on the numbering wheel was out of alignment and did not make a full rotation and got hung up during printing. If the note is uncirculated it is worth $60-$80 imo. Super cool, thanks for sharing!

• You are correct Ray, it is way cool. Is this a circulation find? Value would depend on condition but I feel you could work around a $50 sell figure on eBay from what I can see. Thank You for Your Service to Our Country.

• Thanks for the feedback gents. The note is crisp, clean, and no noticeable creases. The other serial number printed correctly. My daughter got this for me. She is a manager at a convenience store. I expect whoever passed the note took it from a collection. She's always bringing me cool finds. A lot of old notes ie 1940 series, gold seals, blue seals etc. I taught her well :) I will try and get a full pic of the note this evening.

ray

Semper Fi,
    Ray

MGySgt USMC(ret)
    1979-2003
  • Turned digit error

You found a gold seal note in circulation? Now that is a find! Assuming it is not a $2 "gold" seal. There never was one, but unscrupulous people have chemically treated red seals to fade the color to gold.

Mike
    Mishawaka, IN
  • @boimre1972 said:
    You found a gold seal note in circulation? Now that is a find! Assuming it is not a $2 "gold" seal. There never was one, but unscrupulous people have chemically treated red seals to fade the color to gold.

Two $5 gold seal notes

Semper Fi,
    Ray

MGySgt USMC(ret)
    1979-2003
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's a good pick up

Thanks for the full image of the note. It is in good shape--might grade a 40ish. Nice find!

Mike
    Mishawaka, IN
  • synchrsynchr Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭✭

Rolled digit error, keen eye!