Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

William & Mary Half Crown

Continuing my Great Britain side collection, latest is a William & Mary Half Crown

Comments

• jgennjgenn Posts: 735 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2016 12:29PM

It's nice to see an old half with some honest circulation for a change. :)

• YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭

Think how many times that changed hands!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • harashaharasha Posts: 3,079 ✭✭✭✭✭

See, this is what I like. Real numismatica handled by people who used the coin for its intended purpose. I thrill to the personal connection. Imagine how much was lost when we went off the silver standard and circulated coins went to the melting pot.

Honors flysis Income beezis Onches nobis Inob keesis

DPOTD
  • bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@harasha said:
    See, this is what I like. Real numismatica handled by people who used the coin for its intended purpose. I thrill to the personal connection. Imagine how much was lost when we went off the silver standard and circulated coins went to the melting pot.

Well that's what gets me with most collectors, it's focused too much on perfection. MS this, AU that. I actually find perfect boring most of the time. I appreciate looking at them but at the same time I also enjoy the history that a coin can have from being used.

Plus many circulated coins can have a fantastic look develop from use.

Circulated Cameos are actually my favorite, same with "cigar box tone".

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 17, 2016 3:58AM

That's nicer than the one I had in the 1980s, which I believe was also a 1689. Great coin. I've always liked the conjoined double portraits of William and Mary.

PS- you've got a little subtle "CircCam" action goin' on there, too. All the better.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

An excellent coin which saw its time in circulation.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love it!

• BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Cool, I love those. :)

Cool, I love the

Cool, I love the

Cool, I love those.