Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

What non-numismatic website, app, or resource have you found invaluable in your collecting?

Not including Google itself or Wikipedia.

For me it has been Google Translate including the web page, the app and the translation options available when I'm using the Chrome browser.

Game Changer.

Google Translate has allowed a significant expansion on what sites, printed materials, and correspondence I can utilize or interact with.

Comments

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

925-1000.com
    and
    SMPUB.com
    (antique silver sites)

• POP REPORTS
    CERT VERIFICATION/AUCTION RESULTS
    FB groups
    message boards

We deal with Chinese, Middle Eastern and Russian antiquities and collectables! Please welcome to check out our Gallery at 189 S. Beverly Dr. Beverly Hills, CA, 90212

My direct number is 512-808-3197 Raul
  • neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect German coins. Google translate is very useful for long translations. www.dict.leo.org is much much better for individual word or phrase translations since it gives lots of synonyms, connotations, and usages. Google translate doesn't know the word for mint, but that dictionary does.

I probably use this website as much as many others: USPS tracking

I use uBlock Origin as a Chrome add-on for all of my browsing. It blocks a lot of adds, including youtube adds. It blocks lots of third party requests for data, which can help with browser speed and security.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭✭✭

www.united.com

To bring me to coin shows, of course! :D

• jgennjgenn Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2016 1:50PM

I love old maps and so I enjoy finding mint locations on contemporary maps. There are some great, high resolution maps at www.davidrumsey.com and there's a fantastic historic maps search engine at www.oldmapsonline.org.

Here's an example where I have found my coin's mint on the map.

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wikipedia all the way!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

photoscape free software to edit images

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 18, 2016 6:50PM
    • Irfanview for simple digital photo editing
    • GIMP for photo overlays (layered editing)
    • Excel for sorting tables by different columns (date, ruler, etc.), and for drawing graphs

and of course

• magnifiers and reading glasses
    • camera
    • cash :-)