Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Taler Roundup

ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 14, 2016 6:29PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

These all arrived from various auctions and will get properly imaged at the NY Show (Todd will be there). Thought I would share.

1603 Germany. Teutonic Order. Grandmaster Maximilian of Austria Taler. Hall mint. KM-5854. Dudik-187b. Beautifully toned crown with original skin. Superb preservation and presentation of this broad flan type. NGC AU-58.

1654 Austria. Ferdinand Charles, Archduke of Further Austria (1632-1662) Taler. DAV-3367. KM-933.3. Tyrol, Hall Mint. Obv: Older, thinner bust right. Rev: Crowned arms in order chain. Fully lustrous with a lovely mottled golden tone. NGC graded MS-64.
The Dr. Robert Hesselgesser Collection. Goldberg's sale 36, lot 1890.

1657 Austria. Ferdinand III (1637-1657) Taler. Vienna Mint. DAV-3184. UNC

1758 Salzburg, Sigismund III., Graf von Schrattenbach (1753-1771) Taler. DAV-1250, KM-391, Probszt-2277. Obv: Saint, haloed and standing, head to left. Rev: An attractive type featuring Madonna laying Christ down in swaddling clothes with motto band above and arms to right. A Choice example of this scarce, one-year type. Fully lustrous with a touch of golden toning. NGC MS-64 PL.

1769 Salzburg. Sigismund III., Graf von Schrattenbach (1753-1771) 1/2 Show Taler Commemorating the South Gate ("Sigismundtor") Completion. Engraver: Franz Xaver Matzenkopf Jr. HZ:2965. BR:4157. Very scarce. PCGS MS-62.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, you've been a busy bidder!

I'd love to see the PL Thaler in hand.

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

All beauties!

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow is right, these are all so special.

If I had to pick one or two I'd take the 1758 Salz, and the 1654 Charles Taler's...yes I'm a sucker for eye appeal - these both rock!

• Options
    IosephusIosephus Posts: 872 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

Some truly outstanding coins here.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

1769 looks like a 1767, maybe wrong pic.

• Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

Wow those are amazing, I can't wait for a better image of the Teutonic Order Thaler.

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15, 2016 1:20AM

Aww, man. That Teutonic Order piece slays me. You knew it would.

I take it because there's a slab image instead of a TrueView on the cert page, it was graded at PCGS in Europe?

As you know, I love that design. All I could afford was its lower grade little sister (A 1/4 thaler, which just made XF45. I was happy with that grade- and the coin- considering it cost me less than $250).

PS- I like how the full thaler is dated. For whatever reason, my 1/4 thaler is undated (c. 1615).

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

@HoledandCreative said:

Obverse has the digits 1769 as does holder...

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! I thought of you this weekend--very local show and a guy and a handful of mostly slabbed talers/2 talers (those were in some big slabs!). Nothing compared to these goodies I'm sure! Beautiful!

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coins! :)

• Options
    HoledandCreativeHoledandCreative Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oops! What is significance of 2 different dates?

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

@Zohar said:

@HoledandCreative said:

Obverse has the digits 1769 as does holder...

On the rev, is the Roman numeral date 1767, if so, what does that signify? As always, your talers (thalers) are spectacular!

Paul
  • Options

visit-salzburg.net/sights/neutor.htm

Just between the Festival Halls and the Pferdeschwemme, you will find a tunnel connecting the Altstadt town centre with the city districts of Riedenburg, Maxglan and Leopoldskron. This tunnel is called Neutor or Siegmundstor and was built between 1764 and 1767.

Initially, Prince Archbishop Siegmund Schrattenbach planned to cut a path through the Mönchsberg Mountain to achieve this connection. He abandoned this plan in 1759 and instead of the section, he ordered the engineer Elias von Geyer to built a tunnel. The Hagenauer brothers were responsible for the decorations of it.

The Siegmundstor tunnel is 135 metres long and oriented in a gentle angle to allow water to run out and light to penetrate deeper into the mountain. The entrance on the old town side bears an emblem with a portrait of Prince Archbishop Schrattenbach.

Austria, nation of tunnels...

Above this emblem, a Latin inscription says: "Te saxa loquuntur", meaning "The stones are talking of you" in honour of the Prince Archbishop. The other side of the tunnel is decorated by a display of St. Sigismund in antique armour.

It is crested with war trophies and the coat of arms of Prince Archbishop Siegmund Schrattenbach. All in all anything but humble references. The sides of the tunnel are decorated by obelisks.

Initially, the tunnel was called "Neutor" and the square by the Pferdeschwemme Siegmundsplatz Square. Later, the square was re-named "Herbert-von-Karajan Square" in honour of the long-serving creative director of the Salzburg Festival. The Siegmund-reference was moved to the tunnel, however, most locals from Salzburg still refer to the Siegmundstor as the "Neutor".

• Options
    PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Lovely talers and very cool history!

Seeing the same depiction of the tunnel entrance on the coin and the print bring the story and the coin to life.