Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My Love/Hate for the Hobby in 2016

SportsModeratorSportsModerator Posts: 1,624 mod
edited November 11, 2016 12:59PM in Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Hi everyone,

In the upcoming issue of SMR, Joe Orlando takes a moment in his monthly Hacks editorial to list the three things he loves/hates about the hobby in 2016.

Although the issue won't ship until another few days, we wanted to give you a sneak peek. The article is now available online here.

In conjunction with this piece, we have started this thread to encourage you to likewise create your own love/hate list. We'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thank you for your participation!

Forum AdministratorPSA & PSA/DNA ForumModerator@collectors.com | p 800.325.1121 | PSAcard.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancartFrancart Posts: 334 ✭✭✭

Interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

From Joe's article: 1) The Negativity - Misery loves company and there are those who are attracted to nothing but drama, bullying and bashing. I am directing this at the people who are negative for the sake of being negative. You know them, I know them, everyone knows them. They are miserable and insecure, but 10-feet tall behind a computer. Please, do us all a favor and take up a new hobby.

****And it would be great for the rest of us if they left this Forum as well.****

STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doug,

I could not agree more.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    OddRodzOddRodz Posts: 645 ✭✭✭

I'm scared to ask a question after the above comments. Not sure the Hacks article was in regards to the Collectors Universe message board. ? The comments seem mean in themselves.

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is no secret that there are a lot of conspiracy theorists and PSA haters on the Net 54 board. If they are directed at any board I would argue it is that one. A lot of people fire off baseless accusations freely with no real consequences.

My love hate is as follows. I love the fact that many of the lower pop cards I own have stayed that way. It further reinforces to me that my initial instinct that many wrestling cards would be hard to find in investment grade condition was accurate. On the other hand I hate the fact that it has become so hard to find fresh material that is gradable and checking EBAY throughout the day with so little ungraded cards being offered. I guess it is the ultimate catch 22.

• Options
    TheMickTheMick Posts: 217 ✭✭✭

I've collected a lot of different things over the years but there's just nothing like collecting cards for some reason. I've been hooked for some time. The internet has its good and bad issues. Its great to be able to look over huge amounts of inventory 24/7 and the prices are more competitive than the shows from what I've seen. It's definitely a non-personal experience though.

• Options
    jmmiller777jmmiller777 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭

Three things I hate: The lack of baseball card shops, the over stating of the condition of cards (mostly online), The dozens and dozens of sets that are made each year, and the fact that completing 2-3 of them costs 10X their value.

Three things I love: The amount of material available online with pictures and close-up shots, The amount of trading forums available, a national convention to go to.

Sort of a contradiction on the first comment. After all, the lack of card shops are due to the amount of material available online. I love this hobby and yet as I live in San Antonio, I have no local trading partners. I guess its just an impersonal world.

CURRENT PROJECTS IN WORK:
    To be honest, no direction, but...
    1966-69 Topps EX+
    1975 minis NrMt Kelloggs PSA 9
    All Topps Heritage-Master Sets
  • Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good read!

• Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

I love the hobby for the memories it brings back having collected for well over 50 years.
    A few times I have had to liquidate most of my collection for one reason or another but can not stay away too long.I am not in competition with other to own the very best I am actually the opposite.
    I miss the old card shops of the late 70s and 80s and the. Small shows that were at once plentiful and a great place to mingle with other hobbyists.
    Collecting was once a hobby but now appears to be heading to being more A a big time business but I really do not care if the market falls who cares I am a hobbyist and always will be.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)