Home PCGS Set Registry Forum

Jefferson Nickel decisions are the worst. Grade vs Steps.

All my nickels have to meet at least minimum qualifications for strike, luster, and grade, so I already know there's a bunch of dates 1953-1970 that I'll stick with a high grade coin over a full step coin, but the tough decisions are happening within coins designated as full steps from 1938-1952 or 1971-date. Over and over again I am choosing between one that's premium for the grade but has some little flaw on the steps, and one that is more average for the grade but has perfect steps. If one is a real stickler about steps, like I'd like to be, then a high grade premium set is so much harder (or even impossible on some dates).

Comments

• GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

I personally would rather have a MS64FS vs a MS65 or a MS65FS vs a MS66 coin.

GrandAm :)
  • cupronikcupronik Posts: 773 ✭✭✭

1962-D and '63-D Jeffs are really tough in fresh MS66 (regardless of steps.)
    I have spent drab unc. rolls of these coins since they were so unappealing.

I also like true MS66 1969-S Nickels

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 27, 2016 8:54AM

Here's a prooflike charcoal beauty with full details set in a deep dish-like strike. Has nice bold hair, letters, windows, no evidence of die fatigue...... just about everything for the exception of a missing quarter step. It puts that 67+ coin to shame. And it's my coin that's in a PCGS MS64 holder? Go figure!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

I, too, am blown away by the photo of the 1961 PCGS MS67+ FS Jeff. Like to see it in person.

I've already stated how bold the strike is on my coin. My coin is not a product from deteriorating working dies.

Cheers,
    Leo

edited November 28, 2016 7:12PM

@cupronik said:
    I, too, am blown away by the photo of the 1961 PCGS MS67+ FS Jeff. Like to see it in person.

I love the toning on the MS65FS (upper right coin on CoinFacts) The other MS65FS coin (lower right coin of the 3 shown in CoinFacts) has the best strike of the 3 coins. The windows on the Monticello are well defined (similar to my coin), not mushy. Add the color from the second coin to the third coin, I'd be blown away. lol

Leo

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    I personally would rather have a MS64FS vs a MS65 or a MS65FS vs a MS66 coin.

I am just the opposite.....I would have the higher grade. FB & FS mean nothing to me.

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I would rather have the full strike coin other than a coin with a smoothed over steps area. Knowing there are 6 full steps on a coin I own and not being able to see any of them is a total bummer for me.

Later, Paul.

I keep going to the CoinFacts page on Jefferson Nickels, hoping to see a trueview photo of the 69-D PCGS
    MS65FS that brought $30,000.+ in a S&B auction. All I get is "image coming soon"; I'm sure PCGS trueviewed
    a coin like that when it crossed from NGC to PCGS.

• OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I'm greedy as I like a full strong strike and Full Steps.......however that's really not possible with this series...................YET

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • TrazTraz Posts: 377 ✭✭✭✭

I just go with whatever I like. Although I can afford it, I can't justify some of the price gap in the Jefferson series.

Gold on the other hand I can, but with Jeffersons just watch the pop's, one day it's a pop 2, next year it's a pop 22.

If I had to choose, I'd say FS makes a difference.

• MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

I'm fairly certain that this coin was made in approximately 2006-2007 and was originally in an NGC 65fs holder. The dealer who made that coin told me that the coin wasn't a true 5FS, although it was certainly as close as possible for a 1969-D. At that time it was sold for around $13,000 and disappeared. When it resurfaced recently in the pcgs holder I checked the NGC pop which sure enough now shows 0.

• wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, Macge1... Are you saying that closeness now not only counts in dancing and throwing hand grenades, but in also getting top $$$ for "untrue" full steppers. ;)

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • MACGE1MACGE1 Posts: 269 ✭✭✭

Very funny Mitch...
    All I'm saying is that the coin is not a full stepper, and that I didn't want to be completely negative (as someone apparently paid $30k for it) so I said that it's as close as it's going to get.

• DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess "close" counts in full step Nickels. :o

• Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

This has been an issue for me as well. I have a secondary set running of Coins that are either a grade higher, or one lower but with full steps. I try for full steps but as Traz said, I can’t justify the price gap for some in this series. For some reason I just won’t replace my 1954 D ms63fs, it’s a tough year for full steps and an ms66 would be fine, except I just leave it.

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Such a dilemma for the particular (aren’t we all)! Where does general eye appeal factor into your equation?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 14, 2018 10:32AM

Imagine your set finished ten years from now. Option 1 would have all mind blowing eye appeal coins. Option 2 would be a technically sweet set, far superior grade wise to the other one but lacking the pizzazz. If you were to have both sets displayed at a show side by side, which would gather the most attention. If you could only take one home, which would you pick?

Personally, if I had no chance to build a number one set, I’d take the eye appeal.

edited January 31, 2019 6:07PM

I've had about 4-5 examples of this date over the coarse of 25 years that I really liked. But

@cupronik said:
    I keep going to the CoinFacts page on Jefferson Nickels, hoping to see a trueview photo of the 69-D PCGS
    MS65FS that brought $30,000.+ in a S&B auction. All I get is "image coming soon"; I'm sure PCGS trueviewed
    a coin like that when it crossed from NGC to PCGS.

Here it is when in NGc;

@AllCoinsRule said:
    More tough decisions happen between keeping a 6 step coin or a higher grade coin. I may be stuck keeping both for a while. Problem is a 6 step (or virtually 6 step coin as in the case of this 41-p) is often still not fully struck. I really don't like weakness in the top of the hair (although I think it looks a little better in hand).

In the 1990's there was a collector in Michigan who had two ANACS 66 6 steppers. He sent both coins to me to decide which I wanted. Although the the strike looks full, there is weakness at the top hair and a bit of die fatigue showing above the ear.

I just realized I had a 5 instead of 6 steppers so it's changed now......like who is going to know. lol

edited January 31, 2019 6:15PM

AllCoinsRule,
    My 43D can be seen in my collection below. But there's no way I'd sell that beaut for 140 or 1400. ANACS has certified only 3 at MS67. I did have a super nice 44D but it's gone and now resides in a NGC MS68 6 steps holder.......somewhere out there.

Leo

And I forgot to follow up on this post........better late than never. :)

• cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Jamie,
    That's a sweet looking Jeff! Dome and steps :smile:

Ken

Nice 42-D. But.....would you have a dilemma if you understood, for the lack of deep hairlines is the reason why there are 6 steps?

Leo

• StoogeStooge Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no dog in this fight as I don't collect Jerfferson Nickels, but can understand the FS/NonFS dilemma. Do I have a 1970 Roosie in a 4FB, or a 7 holder??? It's quite the challenge deciding some of these dates that have quite minisule FB numbers.

I think over time I would gravitate towards the Full Steps and if they are graded lower than some others, I would obtain nice higher graded specimens w/o FS to keep in another set. PCGS does offer nonFS Jeff sets right?

Later, Paul.