3B Arenado
C Posey
RF Heyward
CF Inciarte
LF Marte
P Greinke

M

Walker Proof Digital Album
Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Comments

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

for all the hype that's given to the Shortstop position for the flashy play, I have always felt that 1B and 3B were more impressive when you consider what is asked of those guys. when I played what seems like a lifetime ago it was at SS and OF with a little time at 3B --- I didn't like 3B because the ball just got there too quick!!

some of the pure reaction plays those guys make, ending up on the ground/behind the bag/with their back to 1st, and then they get to their feet and throw a frozen rope to the first baseman!!!

pure magic and fun to watch.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did they have gloves back then? No wonder you hated third

mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

yes, they had gloves!!

I remember once I was at short and my buddy Bill Long was third, creeping in and even with the bag. he was crouched over with his hands on his knees when the ball was hit. his glove came up and he caught the ball about a foot to the left of his head, no other part of his body moved!!

he non-chalantly tossed the ball to the pitcher and the next batter stepped in. :o

• DarinDarin Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alex Gordon took a bad hop to the face and broke his nose on the last day of the regular season several years ago.
    He was moved to left field and became a gold glover.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.

Michael Fulmer and Corey Seager ROY

mark

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

I appreciate how Gardner has worked his way from journeyman to everyday player but he has a popgun of an arm. Nine assists because everyone runs on him. Oh well, Bernie Williams didn't have an arm either and he won multiple gold gloves.
    kiermaier is the real deal.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

remember, it's gold GLOVE and not gold ARM.

if your gonna have a weak arm left field is where you're gonna try to hide it

Mark

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

NL manager of the year.
    Not Maddon.
    I see the voting takes place before the post season so no WS drought influence.
    The Dodgers were banged up.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

Managers of the year

Francona and Roberts

Slam dunk

mark

Left field in the AL in the last two years were a guy that didn't even end up playing in the AL -Cespedes, and a converted center fielder who moved to left field in part because his arm is so poor -Gardner. As a Royals fan, I was always glad that Gordon was winning Gold Gloves as a left fielder but his teammate Lorenzo Cain is a far superior outfielder (speed, arm, spectacular plays) and has never really come close to winning the award. It argues in favor of going back to best three defensive outfielders.
    Manager of the year -can't argue with Roberts but I thought Collins did an amazing job with the Mets.

edited November 16, 2016 5:10PM

Scherzer wins the NL Cy Young in a landslide. Lester second and Hendricks third.

Porcello wins the AL Cy Young despite only getting 8 first place votes. Second time in history someone wins the Cy without having the most 1st place votes. Verlander had 14 first place votes finishing second and Kluber had three finishing third. Britton had 5 first place votes

mark

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KateUpton had a classic and NSFW twitter post on her thoughts. Can't post it here, but well worth the search!

@Barndog said:
    @KateUpton had a classic and NSFW twitter post on her thoughts. Can't post it here, but well worth the search!

I saw it! She's a throwback :D

mark

edited November 16, 2016 7:22PM

@Justacommeman said:

@Barndog said:

I saw it! She's a throwback :D

mark

yes, she has some fine qualtities

MJ
    Porcillo, Verlander and Scherzer. What the Tigers could have been....
    And now they're supposedly shopping Cabrera.

@breakdown said:
    MJ
    Porcillo, Verlander and Scherzer. What the Tigers could have been....
    And now they're supposedly shopping Cabrera.

Ya it pained me to write that.

I really thought Verlander would win it but Porcello was more then worthy

Kinsler, Cabrera, Verlander and JD Martinez are all on the block. I think at least two of them go. The Tigers have a nice core group of young talented starting pitching ( Boyd, Norris and Fulmer) but need to get younger everywhere but catcher, short and third.

mark

despite the prowess of the three pitchers it isn't realistic to assume they would have been as effective together with Detroit. as it is, the Tigers as a group have gotten old and slow. Victor Martinez and Miggy just play hurt too often or sit out and several other players can turn into liabilities when those two are out.

the Tigers are in trouble unless they get younger. they will be tested by Cleveland and KC while Minnesota will be trouble in 2017. Detroit might need a couple years to catch up to the rest of the division, though they do have a couple of good starters.

edited November 17, 2016 4:01PM

keets sometime I think you just make things up ; )

Miggy played in 158 games last year and batted .316 with 38 home runs and 116 RBI's.

Martinez played in 154 games last year and batted .289 with 27 homers and 89 RBI's.

So between them they missed a whooping 12 games and 8 of those at DH. So I'm not quite sure how their replacements were a huge liability.

The Tigers finished second in the majors in defensive runs saved and in fielding percentage and least amount of errors

Their problem is big contracts and I wound love to see them get out of some of them and to your point and my point get younger and faster. They have the makings of a great young staff.

The Tigers were 11 games over .500 last year and the Royals were .500. The Royals are going to lose potentially a lot of players to free agency after 2017. I can see both the Tigers and Royals scuffling the next couple of years or I could see them winning the division.

mark

Trout in the AL and Bryant in the NL for MVP

• sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    Trout in the AL and Bryant in the NL for MVP

Congrats to both young men.
    From a distance both appear to be very likeable to go along with their standout play.

Trout would be king of all he surveyed if he were somehow to land in pinstripes.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know how much longer Trout will wish to toil in LA, before a championship ring desire beckons elsewhere.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".

As far as the Tigers are concerned, it is nice to see that you can't just go out and buy a world series championship,
    as the Tigers owner has tried to do the last ten years or so.
    He's spent a lot of money, all in vain.
    Now if the Tigers stay together, they're too old to win, and Miggy and Martinez surely
    can't stay relatively injury free for another year, considering how out of shape they are.
    So it makes sense to break up the team and rebuild, maybe with more motivated, younger players?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
    edited November 20, 2016 2:42PM

@Darin said:
    As far as the Tigers are concerned, it is nice to see that you can't just go out and buy a world series championship,
    as the Tigers owner has tried to do the last ten years or so.
    He's spent a lot of money, all in vain.
    Now if the Tigers stay together, they're too old to win, and Miggy and Martinez surely
    can't stay relatively injury free for another year, considering how out of shape they are.
    So it makes sense to break up the team and rebuild, maybe with more motivated, younger players?

Man are you bent with your anti Tiger rhetoric. You have a serious problem. Stalker like. Miggy is 33 years old and still puts up numbers 99% of players could only dream of. He is actually very durable. Martinez is probably going to Boston to replace Ortiz. He played 154 games last year. Many more then several of your Royals. So the Tigers injuries ( which Miggy and Victor combined for 12 missed games) are due to being out of shape and the Royals injuries are because they are such great physical specimenss? Ya, right.

Didnt you guarantee that the Royals would pass the Tigers last season? You called the Tigers, old , fat, out of shape, lazy and unmotivated yet the Tigers finished 5.5 games in front of the Royals. What does that say? You called out Upton and from that point he lead the majors in home runs. You called out Verlander and he secured the most 1st place voting for the Cy Young. Those old and fat Tigers lead or finished second in least amount of errors and had defensive runs saved.

You often substitute opinion for fact and it's laughable. May I remind you literally pooped the bed on every single one of your predictions in both the Tigers and Royals thread. I didn't think it was possible for someone to be so wrong so often. You have weak cabbage.

Yes, we are no longer friends ; )

mark

My point was their time is over without winning a world series. With the way the owner went out and spent money
    they should have been a little more competitive, no?
    The low budget Royals managed to appear in two consecutive world series, winning one.
    And all the Tiger stars you mentioned went home early.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21

**keets sometime I think you just make things up **

Mark, I saw them play 18 games with the Indians across the season this year and that pair was hobbled for a good portion of that. I'll agree that they didn't miss that many games entirely and their power was up, but once they get away from the plate they start to hurt the Team. both are a stretch going from 1st-3rd or 2nd-home and there were enough times when I saw hat would have been a double for other's only a single.

that is all I'm saying.

of the two, I think Martinez is just ridiculous, I can't understand why he can't run or doesn't seem to be bothered by it.