Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Canadian Coins

How big is the market for Canadian coins? I did a search...but I can't really find anything no this subject...Canadian population is 10% U.S....are there a lot of American collectors of Canadian coins?

Seems like the strength of the U.S. dollar would be a good thing if buying from Canadian dealers...

Super appreciate any thoughts and feedback!!!!

Comments

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

If you look at the PCGS Registry sets for Canadian coinage, you will see lots of US collectors in the top 5 for the denominations. Canada didn't start having their own coinage until 1858 and not in earnest until the 1870's ... and even then the coins were struck by the Royal mint in London for Canada until 1908 when they got their own mint. As a result, there are fewer years to collect. There are many US collectors entering the Canadian field because of the current exchange rate and the escalating costs of early US coinage for the collectors. Early Victoria mintages remain strong, but it really tapers off after 1920 when silver coins dropped from .925 to .800 and further still post WWII. Pre-1940's, almost every mintage for ANY denomination was less than 10 million, with many being below 5 million. You can find Victoria mintages less than 2 million across the board and less than 1 million once you get above the penny and nickel. Think what you would pay for US coinage with pops like that. You find just base interest in post-1967 Canadian coinage, except for error and variety collectors. The Royal Canadian Mint now has gotten so heavy into NCLT and commemorative crap that they've lost a good bit of legitimacy. Keep in mind that over 80% of the population of Canada lives within 50 miles (as the crow flies) of the US border and coinage from both countries intermingled for decades in the border States and Provinces.

• Options
    jonrunsjonruns Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent synopsis...how about coins from the provinces? Is there a CAC for Canadian coins...many of the ones I see for sale look like they have been messed with...

• Options
    pmacpmac Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭

Isn't ICCS the main grader of Canadian coins and aren't they a tad tighter with grades than our host or NGC?

Paul
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I've seen, ICCS has stricter grader standards for circulated coins when compared to US TPG. Uncirculated coins in ICCS holders usually cross at the same or lower grade, especially for higher MS grades, at PCGS or NGC. Also, as stated in another thread, ICCS is very lax with problem coins and many times doesn't state the problem on the insert.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,685 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Canadian coins.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

ICCS does not want to put their "name" on anything which is not recognized by Charlton beforehand. even if it is 100% obvious, they will usually not state it unless it is already recognized in Charlton.
    Syl is 100% correct with his analysis, perhaps even conservative. I have said many times: One morning when American collectors wake up, the numismatic community will ask: Why have NFL coins doubled over night and gone "through the roof" ?
    think as the NFL $2 Gold, 1880, going for under USD 2500 with a mintage of a total of 2500 (and many of these 2500 have probably been melted). It is very similar with all the other NFL and NewBrunswick issues.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

My opinion, and it is simply opinion based upon my observations, is that ICCS had been more conservative in assigning grades to circulated coins than either NGC or PCGS years ago, but that today the standards for circulated coins are quite similar. Additionally, I believe that PCGS is a bit tougher on MS and PR coins, especially with respect to coins that have surface issues. Again,this is simply my opinion.

I adore Canadian coinage and absolutely love NFLD pieces. It is stunning to me to see some truly scarce coins go begging when they are Canadian or NFLD. As an example, I have a terribly scarce specimen NFLD twenty-cent piece on my site that has generated zero inquiries in perhaps six months. This coin is downright rare, depending upon your definition of rare, yet is ignored.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    Jackthecat1Jackthecat1 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭

I like Canadian coins a great deal. I do not formally collect any series, but pick up attractive and interesting pieces that I see at coin shows. My favorite coin is the 1967 Gold $20.

Member ANS, ANA, GSNA, TNC

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,112 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom, that Eddie VII SP Newfie 20c is to die for.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

As ajaan said above, ICCS is pretty strict on their grading, BUT they grade only on wear .. as a result, some corrosion, fingerprints, or cleaning go un-noted. You really need to see an ICCS coin in-hand before you buy it, but the technical grade will be correct as to wear. Surface or luster does not enter into their grades. Also as stated above, Newfie coins and New Brunswick had silver coins & cents with very small mintages. PEI and Nova Scotia only made cents in the early 1860's & 70's ... again very small mintages and they are great to look at.

• Options
    bosoxbosox Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭✭

Canadian collecting can be a double edged sword. Tom's Newfy specimen probably has less than 25 coins extant, but sells in the four figure range. A U.S. coin with those pop numbers might be high five figures. Consequently, more modest collectors can buy such rare coins, but low demand often keeps appreciation down.

I have five or six Canada cents (Victorian specimens, patterns, trial pieces) that have mintages of less than 10 pieces, including one specimen variety (1876-H bronze specimen with obverse C1A) that so far has proven to be unique. Got them all for less than $10k each and most for about $5K each. I am under no illusions of making money on them when I eventually sell. Conversely, how much would a unique early U.S. one cent specimen sell for?

Numismatic author & owner of the Uncommon Cents collections. 2011 Fred Bowman award winner, 2020 J. Douglas Ferguson award winner, & 2022 Paul Fiocca award winner.

http://www.victoriancent.com
  • Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like Canadian large cents, especially Those from the Victorian era

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

I must echo Tom's sentiments about rarity vs market interest, in that many scarce coins do not demand the price they should (in my opinion). But then again, the same could be argued for many "foreign" coins. Bottom line is that for whatever reason US coinage still tends to bring top dollar. Canadian coins may be struck less than "50 miles as the crow flies" but they're still foreign. As for 10% being ex-pats, depending how things go on Tuesday that number may increase substantially. Not interested in starting a political debate merely adding some levity with a touch of reality. Ex-pats tend to leave the lower 48 for political reasons.

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pmac said:
    Isn't ICCS the main grader of Canadian coins and aren't they a tad tighter with grades than our host or NGC?

that is what ive heard and even heard they grade one grade below what it should be ( good for us ). i like collecting canadian as well.

• Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

One appealing thing about collecting Canadian is that it is realistically possible for collectors of sufficient means to assemble a largely complete set of Canadian circulation coins 1858-1967, save for maybe a couple of great rarities like the 1921 five cent, 1921 half dollar, and 1916-C sovereign. And even those are not absolutely out of reach, they just cost a lot. Try to assemble a complete U.S. collection and see how far you get in comparison.

But. Many Canadian collectors do prefer ICCS or raw coins, where a lot of U.S. collectors prefer PCGS coins. And there is a far smaller market demand pool for Canadian coins. Yes the strength of the U.S. dollar works in the favor of Americans buying from Canadians. But it also makes it really tough for Canadians to repatriate nice coins from American collectors. Nonetheless there are many joys in collecting Canadian. I overpaid for many of my nice Canadian coins when I bought them -- from American collectors. When I sold them through Heritage, I got a real education on market realities, but I also got some pleasant surprises --- like the amazingly toned 1867-1967 silver dollar that I paid $450 for, and which brought $3,290 including BP at Heritage. But frankly I took a spanking as I tended to overpay for nice coins.

Kind Regards,

George

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    aj2525raj2525r Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hello,

I like Canadian coins as well.

In Dallas, Texas today I bought 109 Canadian nickels at an estate sale. It was a nice mix of dates starting in 1923 and ending in 1999. Included were around 35 King George V coins all in VF but still fun to look through. I enjoy being able to buy Canadian coins for low prices but also would like to have a market to easily sell duplicates. Included was an uncirculated roll of the 1967 nickels. Ebay shows a roll for $12.95, I'd love to be able to get anything close to what my 2009 Charlton shows for them.

I am enjoying my evening looking through them.

Cheers

I still call my accumulation my collection!