Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Variety Attribution

I was hoping someone could help me with a couple variety questions. I have a large box accumulating of what I believe are strong varieties which are not listed currently recognized by PCGS. I understand that with certain coins there are numerous minor DDO and DDR so what does it take for PCGS to recognize one over another. For example, I have a 1956 1c PR66 DDR FS-801 and I also have one that matches up to 1956 1c PR DDR-003 which shows a strong doubled reverse throughout E Pluribus UNUM. I sent a couple of these to PCGS with Variety Attribution to see if they would receive a Minor DDR as I have in the past and they came back without anything. I have included pictures below. When compared to the FS-801 the doubling looks much more distinct, however, it is clear that the FS-801 has more doubling throughout the entire reverse. Certain recognized DDOs and DDRs only require doubling on one particular part of the coin which makes me want to hold onto some of these coins to see if they become PCGS recognized varieties. I have noticed that new varieties have been popping up over the past couple years so should I hold onto these or is there a basis to where professional grading services will not recognize new varieties based on the degree of the variety? I have also included pictures of what I thought was a 1956 5c PR Nickel DDO which came back without a variety. It is obvious there is some major doubling maybe even tripling so do I re-submit this coin or wait as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Sean

3.jpg 139K
6.jpg 142.3K
5.jpg 131.6K
7.jpg 141K
4.jpg 196.3K
41.jpg 66.9K
45.jpg 79.3K
46.jpg 81.7K
42.jpg 48.4K
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wouldn't bother resubmitting them.
    If your photo skills are that good, you should be able to sell them on BST forum or online with no problems.
    Why add cost to your coins if you don't need to?

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want PCGS to attribute them, you are limited to what goes into the Cherrypicker's Guide. Many of the other doubled dies that are listed by CONECA can be tricky and time-consuming to attribute (especially 1966 halves), so they won't do these. There are alternatives available to you for varieties PCGS doesn't handle.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would send some of the better ones to varietyvista and decide if you want them in an ANACS slab

varietyvista.com/Attribution%20Services.htm

• Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, Don't like the others slab company's but some times you need to if you want the variety attribution on the label. There are times they will not do it even if ANACS will.

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    If you want PCGS to attribute them, you are limited to what goes into the Cherrypicker's Guide. Many of the other doubled dies that are listed by CONECA can be tricky and time-consuming to attribute (especially 1966 halves), so they won't do these. There are alternatives available to you for varieties PCGS doesn't handle.

This.

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess I may be confused, but if you have a 1956 proof cent DDR -801 - PCGS should have recognized it as it IS in the CPG. Now your pictures are not showing what I consider the major pick up points for the 56 DDR - 801. Those pick up points are the the words united states. So if you sent those pictures you listed here, I could see them not being accepted, also, if you sent them in prior to April of this year, they also would not be accepted as the 56 DDR was not added till April...

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options

@WaterSport said:
    I guess I may be confused, but if you have a 1956 proof cent DDR -801 - PCGS should have recognized it as it IS in the CPG. Now your pictures are not showing what I consider the major pick up points for the 56 DDR - 801. Those pick up points are the the words united states. So if you sent those pictures you listed here, I could see them not being accepted, also, if you sent them in prior to April of this year, they also would not be accepted as the 56 DDR was not added till April...

WS

Sorry about the confusion, what I meant to say is that the pictures are not of the 1956 DDR FS-801. I have one graded and slabbed by PCGS already so I was I explaining that I know it is different from the FS-801 and if it was possible that this one would eventually become a PCGS recognized variety (such as FS-803) based on the strength. I guess I will have to give ANACS a try. I prefer to deal with PCGS as much as possible due to their reputation but for certain varieties it seems to be necessary to go with ANACS. Thank you to everyone for all the advice.

-Sean

• Options
    BigDowgieBigDowgie Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭✭

SimplyCoins1,

My opinion is the DDR is not significant enough to become a future Cherry Pickers pick. Also, we will be waiting another 5 years or more for the next Edition! However, this should not stop you from picking up varieties as you find them. You never know what might make the list next time.

• Options
    georgiacop50georgiacop50 Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭✭

Just because a DD is insignificant does not necessarily rule it out of CPG consideration. Ever look at a 1963 Franklin DDR FS-801? Very insignificant spread, and very common in grades less than MS65; yet somehow it got into the CPG...

• Options

@georgiacop50 said:
    Just because a DD is insignificant does not necessarily rule it out of CPG consideration. Ever look at a 1963 Franklin DDR FS-801? Very insignificant spread, and very common in grades less than MS65; yet somehow it got into the CPG...

I agree. I have found countless 1963 DDR FS-801 which is a light spread so when I come across certain coins with very distinct doubling that are not recognized it is tough to determine whether it is worth holding onto or not.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file