Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Help with old advertising note please. info and value?

Any ideas on this one? it is outside my area of collecting but it spoke to me. Thank in advance.

Comments

• Options
    goodpapergoodpaper Posts: 66 ✭✭✭

I agree, that's a good looking note despite its condition. I cannot help with a market value; someone here with some deep knowledge of this niche needs to chime in. It may be modeled after a contemporary Obsolete issue and I know Ohio is rich with that kind of material.

"Specializing in Small Size US currency but likely to buy anything high grade or interesting".
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2016 1:01PM

This is a "stock type" advertising note used by merchants in many different states. There are several varieties with different design differences but the same general look. Vlack advertising note book lists this type of note but nothing from this issuer.

I believe that the appropriate saying is "The customer is rarer than the note." and the note is quite rare.

Very hard to value something like this as it's quite rare but of limited appeal. It's quite literally worth what someone is willing to pay.

An avid collector of Columbus, Ohio memorabilia, (or an Eberly descendant) never having seen one before might pay $50-$100 while a coin or currency dealer, not having a customer for it might offer $5-$10, if that.

At the selling price of $20, it's a good deal. You could be willing to pay hundreds for another and not be able to find one for years, if ever. So there really isn't an accurate market value for an item like this. It would be fair to assign a very wide estimate range, say $20-$100, as a fair valuation for a collector.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.