Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Toned Canadian Coins Auction on iCollector (Nov 5th)

Comments

• Options

Many PCGS and ICCS toned coins.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong forum. Should be on the BST. But since you posted it here, nice coins, not many bids, very high opening bids IMO.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

some have unrealistic colours.. I am surprised that a TPG will recognice these.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

__some have unrealistic colours.. I am surprised that a TPG will recognice these.

totally agreed - something off here ......plus agreed this is truly BST and doesn't belong here at all as marketed.

• Options

Sorry for posting to the wrong forum. This was my first post.
    Tried to change to BST forum but cannot.

• Options

The 50c 1945 has always been a topic of discussion and scepticism on forum (Coins Community) because of the bright toning. I bought it already grade by ICCS so cannot attest for the toning origine.
    My photo technics (36M pixels camera, macro lens, high deep-of-field, white balance, single light source...) help to show the real color especially when done before coin inserted in holder. ICCS holder has 2 layers of plastic that reflect light that compete with coin toning which make the coin in hand look less colourful that the photo taken.
    I don't photoshop or enhanced the picture.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2, 2016 1:09PM

ICCS grades on wear only and does not take into consideration the luster or surface. My personal opinion is that some of those coins spent time in a potato or a wet paper towel(the brown ones), since the shade/color of the toning is way off.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

So Bill, you are saying ICCS won't put 'Questionable Toning (color)' on their inserts?

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options

Some of the coins showed above are graded by PCGS. Only the coins # 6, 7, 8, 10 and 11 are graded by ICCS.
    PCGS is very strict on suspicious toning.

• Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HuguesGervais said:
    Some of the coins showed above are graded by PCGS. Only the coins # 6, 7, 8, 10 and 11 are graded by ICCS.
    PCGS is very strict on suspicious toning.

Really ... :grey_question:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

@ajaan said:
    So Bill, you are saying ICCS won't put 'Questionable Toning (color)' on their inserts?

That is mostly correct. They also ignore cleaning except when done by a brillo pad. And tooloing. And recoloring. And ...

Sorry, very sore subject with me. I'll never buy ICCS stuff without having it in hand to personally inspect 1st.

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

Gene missed another of the ICCS standard practices. They very seldom, unless REALLY bad, even note or remark that there is corrosion. They will never question toning... surfaces aren't important to them .. only the wear.