Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

FH designation on label, but not in data base?

jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 31, 2016 3:30PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Question: I had my eye on a KEY DATE SLQ, the label is designated Full Head ( FH) and the coin looks it, but when you pull up the cert number. The database does not show FH, just the grade. Its not an old holder, but not a relatively new one either. Ive looked at recently graded FH designated coins and they all seemed to correspond in the cert number data base correctly. Is this concerning, this is a date in which the FH designation is worth 2 - 2.5x times the value of non FH. I would hate to pursue any further a loose out not being able to get the designation corrected in database?

Comments

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2016 3:33PM

PCGS has different coin numbers for FH and non FH coins, so if it has the correct coin number but it doesn't have the designation at its coinfacts page, it sounds like it is just a simple matter of a data entry error.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

If you want to put the coin into a registry set you will have to resend to PCGS to fix the mechanical error. I have a DMPL Morgan with the same issue. Obviously DMPL, says so on the holder, but not in the database. I am currently unable to add it to my registry set. It has a CAC sticker as well so I really don't want to risk them putting it in a new holder.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@david3142 said:
    If you want to put the coin into a registry set you will have to resend to PCGS to fix the mechanical error. I have a DMPL Morgan with the same issue. Obviously DMPL, says so on the holder, but not in the database. I am currently unable to add it to my registry set. It has a CAC sticker as well so I really don't want to risk them putting it in a new holder.

There may be no need to reholder it. Show it to someone in customer service and they might be able to get the database corrected. If you do want to reholder, ask CAC for their guidance given the situation before doing so and there should be little problem getting the sticker reinstated.

• Options

I'm sure you're right and customer service not being able to guarantee it wouldn't get reholdered is just covering themselves in case they judge the label to be in error. I'm sure it would resticker as well, it's just a lot of hassle and shipping cost/risk for me to bother with at this time. It would be like 100 times easier for them to just fix the database. :smiley:

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

What if you send them a photo of the slab?

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lcoopie said:
    What if you send them a photo of the slab?

I had an issue similar to this with a recent submission that a few coins came back without CAM/DCAM designations on the coin. I sent a picture to @MarkStephenson with PCGS Customer Service here on the board and he was able to get them fixed for me. I'd try that.

• Options

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file