Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Blatant "Coin Facts" error **ERROR FIXED**

TommyTypeTommyType Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 31, 2016 10:02AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Regarding the 1866 Shield Nickel, (bottom of the page):
pcgscoinfacts.com/Coin/Detail/3790

" The new metal, because it was so hard, made it difficult to strike the coins, and the dies suffered frequent cracking. Part of the problem was the intricate reverse, where stars were squeezed tightly between each of the rays (ultimately, the stars became part of the solution, because in 1867, the stars were removed from the dies mid-year)."

I'm sure everyone has an example of a later date, "Rays, no stars" nickel....right?

Oops.

Easily distracted Type Collector

Comments

• Options
    howardshowards Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

As a shield nickel variety collector, I'm going to get right on looking for one of those "no stars" nickels. :)

• Options
    lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,887 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fixed.
    Lance.

• Options

@lkeigwin said:
    Fixed.
    Lance.

Well, THAT was efficient! Good job.

And, I've really been enjoying using the "Coin Facts" site the last couple of weeks. I've been pulling each and every coin I own, going to the specific Coin Facts page, and just reading everything from the text, to the census, to the varieties. If you don't have a COMPLETE library, (and few of us do), the information is really helpful, interesting, and illuminating.

Haven't identified any "Oh My!" moments with my coins, yet...but I still have the Halves through Gold to go through. ;)

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,561 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might be a good idea to amend the thread title to reflect that the error has been fixed.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Might be a good idea to amend the thread title to reflect that the error has been fixed.

Done, and done.

• Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 12,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

Regarding the thread title; I really don't see why such an obvious error should be characterized as blatant unless the OP pictures someone at PCGS thinking "in your face Coin Facts users"
    Otherwise WTG TommyType
    :)

• Options

Never thought of "Blatant" as being "intentional". Just "obvious".

But then, I'm an engineer, so English is mystery to me. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file