Home U.S. Coin Forum

Interesting colonial coin copies/counterfeits...

cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 30, 2016 6:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I bought these yesterday from a dealer who had them labeled 'British penny copies'. I recognized them as a Virginia halfpenny and a Connecticut copper. The dealer was half right- they are copies. Based on areas where the 'copper' color has flaked off, I'd say they were lead or some kind of pot metal. The word 'COPY' is not present, and they look quite old. Based on the Redbook, both are of better varieties- the Virginia is the 'no period' variety and the Connecticut is the 'small head facing right' type. Can anyone provide more information as to what these are and why they were made? Are the electrotypes or something else (I'm not very familiar with elecrotypes)?

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.

Comments

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bump for the AM crowd...

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Insider2Insider2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great buy! Sometimes these were made as counterfeits to fool collectors and sometimes they were made by museums for study. These appear to be the former yet they are very collectible. I've paid as much as $30 for similar examples and I felt that I stole them at that price. :)

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty sad that they did not even use copper.

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

WHat are the edges like?

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the Connecticut is technically considered Post Colonial State coinage by reason of the date of 1783. After the Declaration of Independence in 1776, all of the former colonies regarded themselves as United States of America.

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    WHat are the edges like?

Smooth. In a few places I can see what might be a seam.

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,663 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first one appears to be an electrotype as in the second pic you can see a partial seam.
    Second one could be also, or a cast copy. but my gut tells me they are both electrotypes.
    Nice pickups!!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file