Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

D

2»

Comments

• Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think some of the reasons for them not doing as well is the expensive price, plus not as good of designs. His best works (in my opinion) are his overstrike coins, not his original designs. I have been wanting him to do a $2 1/2 or $5 Indian overstrike for awhile. I would imagine if those were done in high quality overstrikes with small mintages, they would do very well.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jwitten said:
    I think some of the reasons for them not doing as well is the expensive price, plus not as good of designs. His best works (in my opinion) are his overstrike coins, not his original designs. I have been wanting him to do a $2 1/2 or $5 Indian overstrike for awhile. I would imagine if those were done in high quality overstrikes with small mintages, they would do very well.

They should be in the cue as his theme for his overstrikes is a complete type set of fantasy dates. Although he does diverge when situations present themselves like the 1964 Morgan discoveries and then his acquisition of the original broken sword peace dollar reverse casting. Man it's been an awesome 5-6 months though!

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2017 4:03PM

I'm hoping for a gold Broken Sword Peace dollar reverse as mentioned in the other thread. I bet that will have a good amount of interest.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    I'm hoping for a gold Broken Sword Peace dollar reverse as mentioned in the other thread. I bet that will have a good amount of interesting.

There goes one of my key date Morgans if he does :dizzy:

I hope the 2017 silver owls don't come out until next month though. The wallet and CC's are about to revolt against me lol

The more you VAM..
  • Options

Probably because they're not coins as someone earlier points out. His original designs are also unexciting with the rest of his products being nothing more than replicas of other Mint artists' work. By the way, does he attribute the original artist's work by including his initials on these copies? Didn't think so...

Robert
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,017 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2017 4:48PM

The price of gold was about $130 per troy ounce higher when that coin was issued, compared to where it is now.

That particular coin was not a favorite design, although 43 were minted with a smooth edge and 48 with a reeded edge. That is a somewhat higher mintage than most of my other 1-oz gold pieces. It is, however, notable for being the first item I ever produced with "Clark Gruber" on it.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2017 11:26AM

The 70th Anniversary of D-Day 1/10 oz medal designed by Dan is currently available on the bay. I've been looking for these for a while and have finally run across some.

• Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2017 12:20PM

Only 21 gold coins were made with this reverse. 10 of the one ounce coins and 11 of the half ounce coins. I've never seen one for sale and I look every day. I love both the reverse and the obverse, it's too cool. Can you imagine how they'll be listed in the Red Book in 2117?

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2017 2:47PM

Do I simply miss them or not check often enough? There are several Daniel Carr pieces that just "appear" and they don't seem to be offered to the public. I'm not talking about the club medals, but it always seems that another sales avenue is operating in the background. Anyone know?

Let me be the first to say that it's Dan's prerogative to distribute his creations to his best advantage, but sometimes it drives me crazy when I don't seem to have a shot at some of the coins I really like.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2017 3:02PM

@jmski52 said:
    Do I simply miss them or not check often enough? There are several Daniel Carr pieces that just "appear" and they don't seem to be offered to the public. I'm not talking about the club medals, but it always seems that another sales avenue is operating in the background. Anyone know?

They are not in the background. Design and die services are part of Moonlight Mint's business. I think finding and collecting these pieces is a fun part of collecting Dan's work.

See this section of his catalog for a listing of these pieces:

Items designed or engraved by Daniel Carr and minted by (or for) others.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2017 5:07PM

Here are pics of a quarter ounce Eisenhower that I also came across recently:

• Options
    edited September 24, 2017 12:20PM

Dan's Freedom Tower coins are now recognized by ANACS as Moonlight Mint pieces. This makes sense since they are in the Moonlight Mint catalog. Image found on the bay:

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭

As the ANACS labels correctly denote, these are medals, not coins. Please correct the thread title.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    jwittenjwitten Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or else???

• Options
    edited September 25, 2017 8:39AM

@CaptHenway said:
    As the ANACS labels correctly denote, these are medals, not coins. Please correct the thread title.

Well, technically at least the Freedom Tower piece is a government issued coin issued by the CNMI with a denomination. It just turned out that the CNMI government doesn't have the authority to issue coins so it is an unauthorized coin! It would be like if a state issued a coin.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am waiting for my 1st set, the owls from secondary market. I personally don't care much for the art deco pieces; 1oz gold Broken Sword is a great idea.
    It is a pleasure being entertained by a fews outside the usual box. These coins are so artsy and marvelous......just imagine it.
    Thank you Dan for taking this form of expression for your art.

• Options
    edited April 9, 2019 10:04PM

Old Thread Update

Just ran across this Gold 1000 Ameros and wanted to post it to this gold Carr thread for posterity. I love seeing Dan's gold pieces!

• Options
    HemisphericalHemispherical Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Old Thread Update

Just ran across this Gold 1000 Ameros and wanted to post it to this gold Carr thread for posterity. I love seeing Dan's gold pieces!

Love that golden Liberty!

• Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just saw this oldie. My take is that I can get collectible actual US gold coins for less money and more interest.

• Options
    edited April 10, 2019 8:05AM

@topstuf said:
    Just saw this oldie. My take is that I can get collectible actual US gold coins for less money and more interest.

There are some gold coins from Legend less than the price of this, but many “collectible” gold coins cost more than this.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file