Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What A Difference A Grade Makes- Jim Brown

His RC in a PSA 8 is about $20-$25K and this is what just one grade higher is going for. Definitely a great time for selling high grade low pop rookies.
https://sports.ha.com/itm/football/1958-topps-62-jim-brown-psa-mint-9/a/7165-51661.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Comments

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't think of a single card in which the registration has such an impact. The registration on that PSA 9 looks outstanding and definitely PSA 9 worthy.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

The Brown 9 is gonna go through the roof despite the subpar centering. Also, 8's sell in about the $15,000 range these days. The outlier was a PWCC HE example.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

That's got a lot of white showing on he back corners for a 9. The registration does look great, though.

• Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

Wow! A PSA 9 Brown at 330K is huge. I have a very nice PSA 7 in Mile High Auctions right now that is sitting around $700. You could buy a ton of nice PSA 7's and 8's for 300 large.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2016 9:57AM

For the money I'd of course rather have a really nice dead-centered 7 or 8, and a lot of cash left over. But this 9 is the stuff dreams are made of -- not to BUY it, in my case, but rather, to be the lucky discoverer of it (in an old pack, book, envelope, whatever) and to garner a 9 -- sell it for ridiculous $$$ -- and with the proceeds, get a nice PSA 6 or 7 or something of the exact same card, while remaining loaded with cash. Talk about having your cake and eating it too! :smile:

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@truecollector86 said:
    That card over graded garbage in my opinion. Not even worth 5% of what's its going for. White showing on the back horriable tilt and oc L/R

Either world class sarcasm or I've finally found a person who has had their cheerios p**sed in LOL

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is a Pop 5 with none higher. Jim Brown's rookie has exploded in the past few years. Some rich dude is going to be thrilled to add this to their impressive collection.

• Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

The slight tilt and centering are well within PSA standards for a 9. PSA is not as tough on the back of cards as they are on the front.
    James

• Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

Believe one guy owns 4 of the 5 PSA 9

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

There will always be fewer negotiable opinions than there are dollar bills.

• Options
    shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

@mrmint23 said:
    Believe one guy owns 4 of the 5 PSA 9

Are you serious? That would be very interesting.

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Options

Has there ever been a mega card posted on here that didn't get ripped to shreds by someone? I can't recall one.

I am waiting for the day that one gets posted and the peanut gallery says it looks under graded. I have feeling that will never happen.

• Options

Of the 5 Brown 9's, One guy owns 2 whom I know, I know another guy only has one, and I know of one other guy that has one. Therefore that leaves one in someone else's hands or non existent. In my opinion, the best football sports card.

• Options

Unless one of those guys is the seller of this card that would equate to the population total of five.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

If that were in my disposable income range, and it's most certainly not, I'd have no problem bidding on it. Considering that 9 out of every 10 Jim Brown rookies look like complete dogs on the front and this one doesn't is enough for me.

• Options

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1958-Topps-Football-Al-Carmichael-31-PSA-9-MINT-PWCC-/401206875888?hash=item5d69cb16f0:g:tfcAAOSw4shYAV5Z&nma=true&si=4oCh1Lj3LHvXEpwWinmA0hF3uKw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The white on the back corners appears consistent with other examples I am seeing on EBAY. The surface is dramatically nicer than the PSA 7 and PSA 8 they have listed. Someone mentioned the scans were enhanced in the Mantle PSA 8.5 thread and perhaps the brighter red makes it appear worse. I remember from a few years ago that cards that started with 318 were fresh from the National. Is 313 a newer cert?

• Options
    ssollarsssollars Posts: 932 ✭✭✭✭

The PWCC-HE PSA 8 that sold last month was probably one of the best examples I've ever seen of a Jimmy RC.

• Options

Fantastic card!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Although maybe not on the same scale, check out the price disparity between a PSA 7 1962 Jim Brown and a PSA 8 of the same card. A 7 runs under $200 while a PSA 8 approaches $4K these days.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CW said:
    Although maybe not on the same scale, check out the price disparity between a PSA 7 1962 Jim Brown and a PSA 8 of the same card. A 7 runs under $200 while a PSA 8 approaches $4K these days.

It seems many go for the PSA 8's in order to crack and re submit and have a shot at PSA 9 moon money.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭

Wow! Good stuff!

aconte

• Options
    maddux69maddux69 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those who have a much lower budget for iconic cards, I present to you the poor man's Jim Brown.

• Options

$358,500.00
    includes Buyer's Premium (BP)