Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Digital Download Cards sell for HUNDREDS of Dollars

"Excuse me sir, what are you doing?"

I was caught red-handed.

A well dressed young man of about 20 years was looking over my shoulder as I was admiring my collection of baseball cards from my website on my phone while waiting for my cinnamon crunch bagel at Panera. Yeah, I'm REAL cool. All kinds of people at the restaurant on their phones doing millennial things - texting, facebooking, tweeting. And me? I'm looking at pictures of my baseball cards. Slowing going through my favorite patch cards, then swiping feverishly through a large rainbow to get a fun effect of border colors changing.

http://www.tanmanbaseballfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/mydigitalcard.jpg

The young man pulled up a chair next to me. As the metal legs made a screeching sound across the tiled floor, (though not loud enough to get peel anyone's eyes off their phones) he hastily set down his drink on my table and pulled out his phone to show me pictures of his trading card collection. I was relieved that I wasn't the only one who enjoyed looking at his collection on his phone in public. As I showed him some key cards from my collection, he showed me cards of baseball, Star Wars and even soccer.

"You have some really nice looking scans! What kind of scanner do you use to put your collection on your phone?" I asked.

He had a bit of a shocked look on his face.

"I'm not showing you scans of my collection. I'm showing you my collection!"

That's right, peeps. Every single card he showed me ONLY existed in the digital realm. These beautiful cards of Mike Trout, Han Solo and Pele don't exist in real life. And guess what ... he bought them.

With real money.

And he is wild about them.

http://www.tanmanbaseballfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/han.jpg

I remember when digital trading cards started making their rounds on eBay. I was confused. Some of these cards have pictures of the player's autograph and even pictures of game used material. You can also find parallels, inserts, stickers and yes, even sketch cards.

If you are new to this trend, you may be laughing to yourself about as much as ... well ... everyone else who first saw them. I mean, who in their right mind would buy a PICTURE of a trading card, right?

Apparently, a lot of people. Like ... a LOT of people.

A quick eBay search for the term "digital trading card" yields over 11,000 results. Clicking on the sold listings shows that over 7,000 have recently been purchased. And this is just on the secondary market! Topps has said that since entering the market, they have sold over 300,000,000 (yes, 300 MILLION) digital packs of cards!

http://www.tanmanbaseballfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ortiz.jpg

What is most shocking to me, perhaps is the fact that Topps and other card companies have conjured something up that, from the outside looking in, looks like it wouldn't have wings. They have built an app, a way to get digital currency and buy/sell/trade these digital cards. They have created a large global community .... a culture of fully engaged collectors who are RABIDLY trying to complete digital sets. Collectors who set their clocks to know the day & time of when Topps will be releasing certain cards. Collectors who beg their friends and family to download the app as well, so they can funnel digital cards to their own account through multiple sources.

After reading more about this group of digital collectors, I have found one thing to be true. This is not a stupid idea that is destined for failure. No, it is an incredibly addictive hobby that has a huge base, and they share similar addictive qualities that yours truly experiences when trying to hunt down physical cardboard that I don't yet have for my collection.

Still with me? How about this:

The Star Wars trading app alone has HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of active users looking to collect digital cards that they don't yet have for their collection.

To make things even crazier, check this out: In 2015 in the "worldwide collectible card games market", physical (real) cards hit $3,788,000,000 - that is $3.7 BILLION George Washington Rookie Cards. (Still think card collecting is dying?) For digital cards, the amount? $1,296,000,000 (nearly $1.3 BILLION Dollars.)

Sure, many of these numbers are probably for Pokemon and other non-sport collectible cards, but it just goes to show you - trading cards are alive and well. Forget what you've read about all those "the sky is falling" articles in recent years about trading cards.

One thing is for sure - we've come a LONG way. In the 90's, card companies like Pacific would print directions directly on the card telling the collector to go to their website. Now, we have digital trading cards. Heck, the on-demand offering from ToppsNOW is still mind boggling to me. They have sold over 300,000 cards. If everyone purchased at the discounted rate of lots of 20 averaging at $4 a card, that is well over $1,000,000. That doesn't even take into consideration all of the $10 single card purchases, let alone the very expensive autograph / relic / numbered cards they offered - and sold.

http://www.tanmanbaseballfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/ichiro.jpg

I could keep going on ToppsNOW (which looks to be a WILD success), but since this is about digital cards, let's bring it back around. The digital cards have every property a real trading card has, with the exception of being a tangible item. There are even serial numbered digital cards, which command a premium. This is funny to me, because it isn't like a card company set a limited print run. Heck, you could literally take a digital trading card and make a perfect copy of it quadrillions of times without much effort, app limitations notwithstanding.

http://www.tanmanbaseballfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Untitled-1-1.jpg

Still, with all of these drawbacks staring back in the face of the traditional trading card collector, there are those who are willing to pay hundreds of dollars for a card they cannot hold without a mobile device in their hand.

http://www.tanmanbaseballfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/prices.jpg

Again, this is all just mind boggling to me. I don't get it. What I do get though, is that this is a REAL thing. People are obsessed with it, and they are paying big money to get these digital images into their collections.

Is this really so shocking though? Movies, music, news, books, magazines, etc. have all crossed over to the digital realm, so why not trading cards? What this does to the traditional card "market" remains to be seen. Will many people ditch real cards for digital ones, or will the digital trading card market act as a bridge to the physical world, bringing in more traditional collectors than ever before? These next several years will be quite interesting.

While the young man I wrote about at the very beginning of this article doesn't really exist (I can't wrap this up without being completely truthful to you!), I can now safely say that I choose not to download the app (for now) - not because I think it is ridiculous, but because I worry that I'll get addicted to it.

Here is my latest vlog for the subject: (it is still uploading as I type this so it may take a minute.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z_82eD6yxA&feature=youtu.be&hd=1

http://tanmanbaseballfan.com/2016/10/digital-download-cards-sell-hundreds-dollars.html

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!

Comments

• Options
    PMKAYPMKAY Posts: 1,372 ✭✭

There are eBay sellers making 1000s of dollars every month on digital cards.

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

I will have to pass on digital collections.

• Options
    mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I'd have some fun and photoshop what a virtual wax pack wrapper could look like

http://www.tanmanbaseballfan.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/digital.jpg

Tanner Jones, Author of Confessions of a Baseball Card Addict - Now Available on Amazon!
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

so when you get the digital card, are you getting the file? Can you just go ahead and cut/paste it? Are you getting a protected file? Is only Topps allowed to make MLB digital cards? I ask these questions because it unbelievably moronic that this is occurring.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    mb2005mb2005 Posts: 165 ✭✭

Buying a digital picture encased in a phone doesn't seem that much crazier than buying a piece of cardboard encased in plastic.

• Options
    mouschimouschi Posts: 687 ✭✭✭✭

While watching the WS tonight, I decided to give Topps Bunt a spin. I was able to make a trade for a Canseco (woot!) The thing I was confused about, is that it looks exactly the same in my "collection" as it does in the online database. I guess I still don't get it.

• Options
    mlbfan2mlbfan2 Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭

If you think about it, it's really not that different than paying $1,000 for a piece of cardboard when you can buy a virtually identical piece of cardboard (a reprint) for a couple of bucks.

• Options
    bobsbbcardsbobsbbcards Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭

I knew you were making up the story when you said a "well dressed young man of about 20 years." That's crazy talk. :smile:

• Options
    lawyer05lawyer05 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭✭

moushi your posts are the best..
    I went to your website ... is it a private website ?
    do u do customs ?

• Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

I've seen the Topps offerings of virtual cards, and always wondered why not just copy the images of online cards. They're just images anyway, with no cost.

Far be it for me to put down anyone's collecting interest having collected a bunch of cardboard for nearly half a century, but one addiction is enough (and at times far too much!) for me.

Thanks for the thoughtful posts, mouchi!

HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options

There is a whole world of virtual cards in the world of online video games. In Madden 17, the newly released legend Randy Moss card, rated 93 and only in packs for 48 hours, sells for 1.4 million madden coins, or about $350 in real world value. You collect cards in your virtual folder and play them online. It's super addictive.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 7, 2016 9:47PM

http://nintendoage.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=166587

And I thought this sort of thing going on in the video game hobby was stupid... :disappointed:

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

@SpinFadeSplash23 said:
    There is a whole world of virtual cards in the world of online video games. In Madden 17, the newly released legend Randy Moss card, rated 93 and only in packs for 48 hours, sells for 1.4 million madden coins, or about $350 in real world value. You collect cards in your virtual folder and play them online. It's super addictive.

And how much are the fake virtual Madden cards from past years? :disappointed: I'm guessing pretty much nothing.

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

Sadly, they are worth little to nothing as people move on to the newest release of the game. In game, you are rewarded with a loyalty bonus with the new video game release - this may be a few packs or a special card. Madden sells "basic packs as well for about $1 per pack that come with virtual cards. They also have themed packs, such as a Most Feared pack for Halloween and packs for Thanksgiving, Christmas, that go for a premium value. I buy Madden every year and for the last three years, have only played the Madden Ultimate Team (MUT) part of the game. They release new cards weekly based on actual player performance. For example, there is a 90 rated Jay Ajayi (Dolphins) card in honor of his back to back 200+ yard games. Also, NBA2k17, NHL 17, FIFA 17, UFC 2 and MLB The Show 16 all have some version of virtual cards, packs and players. I highly recommend giving it a shot.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2016 5:23AM

Any of you guys ended up like Randy Marsh in that Guitar Hero episode? That is, you had someone proudly showing off their digital card/game collection, and then when you show them something "really cool" (your real cards/games) and they are unimpressed, as if to say "real cards/games are for OLD people" Okay it probably won't play out quite that way but still don't you guys get that general feeling about how popular "fake" (downloadable) cards and games (I consider the games on touch screen phones/tablets the "bush leagues" of gaming platforms; so I guess just like a baseball traditionalist I'm what you call a gaming traditionalist, I prefer REAL games on REAL consoles on REAL cartridges/discs) and you feel dismayed like, "but...but my collection is real :( ". And what happens when these downloadable games/cards/DLC just go poof when the hosts/servers don't feel like hosting/supporting them anymore?

As Bill O'Reilly would say, where am I wrong?

WISHLIST