Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My latest (major) acquisition: The Man is mine!

A card that's been on my want-list for a while now, and certainly one of the top 2 biggest cards (along with the T206 WaJo portrait in PSA 5) that I've picked-up this year. I also love a card that will significantly improve 7 of my registry sets in one fell swoop! Enjoy!

Comments

• 72skywalker72skywalker Posts: 1,539 ✭✭✭

Nice card. It looks nicer than a 7 to me. Is that considered has rookie along with the 48 Bowman?

Collecting Yankees and vintage Star Wars
  • divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one awesome Stan "The Man" Musial card. Love the deep blue background along with the nice centering.

Congrats on the pickup.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

Great card of a great player

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭✭

Great card of a great player! One I think is underappreciated. Nice pickup!

• CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@originalisbest said:

It's definitely underappreciated which is weird to me considering many of the old timers say either Stan the man or Ted Williams was the best player of their era.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

beautiful card, congrats

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

A monster pickup. Awesome looking psa 7. Congrats.

• MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

I don't think one card should be allowed in multiple registry sets, but, great looking pick-up you have there!

• ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I love this card. One of my favorite sets of all time.

• Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭

Great card of a great player and even better man. If you want to see the definition of consistency, look up his stats and his home/away splits.

• HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

One of my fav players of all time. Great pick up!

• CWCW Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

Very nice example, congrats! Gotta love the writeup on the reverse, too. Such a classic card.

• PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@originalisbest said:

It's definitely underappreciated which is weird to me considering many of the old timers say either Stan the man or Ted Williams was the best player of their era.

I think a certain group of collectors is really only interested in Topps issues and views all earlier cards as interesting but less desirable to collect.

• shagrotn77shagrotn77 Posts: 5,567 ✭✭✭✭

Beautiful Musial my friend. Enjoy!

"My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. Our childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When we were insolent we were placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds - pretty standard really."
  • Beautiful card

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tremendous card. Congratulations.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• 19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭

The color is fantastic and the centering is good but the best quality of this card is the focus. Nice card.

Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,014 ✭✭✭✭✭

You have great taste. The "Man" in my avatar would approve.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:

@Cakes said:

@originalisbest said:

I think a certain group of collectors is really only interested in Topps issues and views all earlier cards as interesting but less desirable to collect.

I tend to agree, that's it's just one of those things. Also complicating things is that for Musial's rookie, if it were to be about 1942, there's just no card sets period that were offered that year, at least not on a widespread basis? And with the exception of the '52 & '53 Bowman, there's just no Stan the Man cards offered until an All-Star card in '58. This is frankly a shame -- thinking of how terrific '50, 51 and 54-55 Bowman, and '52-'57 Topps cards of the Man might have looked. :smile:

• vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭

Sweet Card. The only reason I don't have a Musial registry set is because he has so many gaps. It's really a shame.

52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Just look at the summary of his stats on the back. The Man indeed

• fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭

SWEET!!!!

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭

Very nice card, paleocards.

The '48 Leaf Musial is a very interesting card. It's almost as if there are no two alike. If you pull up an eBay list of them you see see a wide variety of printing differences, e.g. some have deep blue backgrounds (like yours) and some have varying degrees of a "sky" blue background. The focus is also a big issue on this card. Some are well focused and some (including some PSA 8s) are so off you'd almost need 3-D glasses to help view them. Maybe other '48 Leafs have these characteristics but the Musial, IMO, is the most prominent.

• GREAT PICKUP!!!!!!

Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle