Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Removing old tape residue

Hello, I usually post on the coin forums.
I came across a somewhat scarcer world note but unfortunately it has old cellophane tape residue on both borders, almost as if it was taped to a piece of paper.
Is there a way to remove this residue, even partially?
Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Is it old yellow residue, or new(er) sticky stuff? Old yellow is pretty tough, as it's actually embedded into the paper. The new(er) sticky stuff you might try like a nail polish remover, or something that has acetone in it. If it's real soft and sticky you might get away with just alcohol.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks really old and is a dark yellowish brown.

• Options
    mainejoemainejoe Posts: 311 ✭✭✭

Yep, that would be a tough one for sure. The old stuff like that as I have heard is more a gum rubber that imbeds itself into the paper over time, then hardens. I have heard that there is a relatively easy method that softens the "gum", then can be removed after that. But I do believe it may leave a little discoloration also. Do a web search, might help. But if it's a valuable note I would be hesitant. More common and/or disposable note(s) would be a practice run, see what happens.

• Options
    gsalexgsalex Posts: 213 ✭✭✭
    edited November 3, 2016 4:54PM

You aren't going to get the tape residue out completely, so lower your expectations. But you can definitely improve the visual appearance of the note. I recently did this with an old stock certificate which had a very old yellow strip of cellophane tape along one end. Not very attractive, which is why I was able to get it for $1. I use something called Goo-Gon, which is essentially kerosene. Liquid benzene lighter fluid might also work -- you want something that will dissolve the gum but will also evaporate. I actually soaked the area covered by the tape, let it set for a few minutes, then carefully coaxed the tape off the paper with a razor blade. You have to be slow and patient, and continue to work more of the solvent under the tape as it comes up. Use a saturated Q-tip to daub off the remaining tape residue.

I wish I had taken a before shot, but here is what I ended up with. Not perfect, but much easier on the eye.

Intrigued by all things intaglio.
  • Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you much for your ideas.

• Options
    dtreterdtreter Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    edited November 10, 2016 6:58AM

Here is another example of a restoration of a note. Before and after pictures of the reverse. It has been graded by PCGS with the notation of the repair. This is not note doctoring but rather preservation of a very scarce note. First picture is from Heritage's web site.

photo FR1299rbefor_zpsa38f9c2e.jpg

photo FR1299rafter_zpsa439642b.jpg

photo FR1299after_zpsd28c4a15.jpg