Home U.S. Coin Forum

Art Deco coins

2»

Comments

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dawg that medal predates the Art Deco movement but is killer never the less!

Generally 1925 is the used as the beginning of the Art Deco era but I believe the roots and earmarks of the movement started around 1913.

Mark

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

Great examples posted in this thread!

Mark

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Justacommeman said:
    Dawg that medal predates the Art Deco movement but is killer never the less!

Generally 1925 is the used as the beginning of the Art Deco era but I believe the roots and earmarks of the movement started around 1913.

Mark

Shows what I know. DOH

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • TomBTomB Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know the reverse of the Connecticut commem has already been mentioned and shared, but I think the obverse pairs with it quite well-

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting thread!

email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm more a fan of the slightly earlier Art Nouveau period, personally, but Art Deco is great, too, and was a valid response to the occasional excesses of the former.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

medals from the 1933-34 CPIE in Chicago nicely depict this period of Art.

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 16, 2016 2:29PM

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are a lot of Art Nouveau designs in this thread instead of the later Art Deco.

The WLH, Winged Liberty Dime, and the Peace Dollar are almost textbook examples of Art Nouveau.

The 1904 St. Louis Exposition medal posted by crazyhounddog is also textbook Art Nouveau (albeit, an extremely beautiful medal that I'm happy to see here).

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

@brg5658 said:
    There are a lot of Art Nouveau designs in this thread instead of the later Art Deco.

The WLH, Winged Liberty Dime, and the Peace Dollar are almost textbook examples of Art Nouveau.

The 1904 St. Louis Exposition medal posted by crazyhounddog is also textbook Art Nouveau (albeit, an extremely beautiful medal that I'm happy to see here).

I think many are great transition pieces between the two movements.

mark

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Detail and design here remind me a bit...
    The art of the coin and textures.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

@brg5658 said:

I generally agree. Art Nouveau typically has more curves that Art Deco, which is more geometric in nature.
    I still think the earliest textbook case of Art Deco is the reverse of the 1909 Lincoln Wheat cent.

• jedmjedm Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very interesting topic Mark. When you mention the Cincinnati are you referring to the Music Center? Not sure which one presented so far speaks to the movement, but the Connecticut issue really speaks to me. The Bridgeport eagle is a favorite of mine also.

@jedm said:
    Very interesting topic Mark. When you mention the Cincinnati are you referring to the Music Center? Not sure which one presented so far speaks to the movement, but the Connecticut issue really speaks to me. The Bridgeport eagle is a favorite of mine also.

Yes sir. The Cincinnati was distributed in 1936. The obverse of this issue displays a portrait of Stephen Foster while the Art-Deco reverse honors Cincinnati and The Music Center as a hub of American music.

The Bridgeport & the Connecticut are also steep in Art Deco

Tip for commem collectors- if you ever come across an attractively toned 36-S ........buy it.

mark

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file