Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

My World Coins minted by the US Mint presentation

kennytpezkennytpez Posts: 283 ✭✭✭
edited October 26, 2016 3:00PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I wrote an essay for this year's ANA essay contest this past summer. I turned it into a powerpoint presentation for one of my coin clubs and presented it last night to the Wilmington Coin Club. Here is the presentation.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=gk4LOoYShWE

Comments

• WeissWeiss Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great topic and well done. I think you should post it on the lightside forum as well. It's a legit lightside topic.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely very well done Kenny............you taught this old dog something today......Thanx

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice PowerPoint and great job presenting, Kenny! Are you collecting these coins yourself?

I helped PCGS last year to update the registry set composition for World Coins Manufactured at US Mints. We only included 41 countries, however, since the Argentine and Brazilian entries in the US Mint reports were actually just planchet preparation and not any actual coining. You can see the coins included in the set by clicking on the set link in my signature below.

• bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi Kenny

What a great presentation. You also did a great job presenting it at the coin club. I agree with Wiess that you should post this very informative presentation on the US Coin Forum. Many Forum members would enjoy your presentation as I did.

Thank you,
    Bobby

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • PatARPatAR Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

Great presentation of a very interesting aspect of both U.S. and World coin collecting!

• RogerBRogerB Posts: 8,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2016 11:10AM

Very nice, well organized slide presentation.

A few errors and omissions need to be corrected before it goes to a wider audience.

1. Which foreign coins were struck at the New Orleans Mint? At the West Point Mint?
    2. Where "Stella" planchets actually used to produce Cuban coins, or were the planchets simply the equivalent weight of $4 in gold?
    3. All of the Saudi gold disc information is incorrect -- from start to finish.

If the OP will contact me I'll be pleased to help them with corrections.

@RogerB said:
    Very nice, well organized slide presentation.

A few errors and omissions need to be corrected before it goes to a wider audience.

1. Which foreign coins were struck at the New Orleans Mint? At the West Point Mint?
    2. Where "Stella" planchets actually used to produce Cuban coins, or were the planchets simply the equivalent weight of $4 in gold?
    3. All of the Saudi gold disc information is incorrect -- from start to finish.

If the OP will contact me I'll be pleased to help them with corrections.

The 1907-M Mexican 20 Centavos was the only foreign coin minted at the New Orleans Mint. West Point produced Panamanian Centisimos from 1974-1983.

The OP's presentation was the first I'd heard of actual Stella planchets being used to produce the 1915-1916 Cuban 4 pesos.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the Saudi gold discs of 1945-1947. Nothing in the OP's presentation struck me as being way out of line from what I'd heard previously. Perhaps you could post your account of that issue here?

edited October 31, 2016 2:15PM
    1. The OP's presentation will benefit by listing the NO and WP foreign coin examples rather than merely including those facilities in a list. Also WP was not a mint at the time of the Panama coin production - it was a adjunct of the Philadelphia Mint. [The West Point Bullion Depository was given mint status on March 31, 1988.]
    2. There is no such critter as a "Stella planchet." The OP's reference is misleading and should be corrected to remove the implication that any Cuban 4 pesos pieces were somehow made on planchets that did not exist. A better reference is to "...planchets containing $4 in gold, the same as the famous $4 Stella pattern pieces," or something similar.
    3. Saudi gold discs had little to do with ARAMCO - local oil employees were paid in silver, only, and the concession fee was paid only in sovereigns. The full picture is too long to post here, but i will provide the OP with a full discussion if he requests it.

No. 1 and #2 are relatively minor points in an otherwise well-done presentation. #3 begs correction.

As to point #3, this excerpt below is from Foreign Coins Struck at United States Mints, Charles Altz et al, Whitman, 1965. As the OP listed it as one of his sources, I thought I'd share. If there's more to the story, I'd still love to hear it.

Your published source both very old and very incorrect. The paragraph beginning at the bottom on page 52 is wrong. The so-called "plausible explanation" was nothing but guess work and not based on fact. The "official explanation" is misleading because it is an incomplete response by Leland Howard to requests to import the discs into the US as if they were US coins. Only the first quoted sentence has any substance in relation to the purpose of the pieces.

As I've offered twice before, if the OP wants the info, I will readily send it to him (or his parent). I cannot post it here because it is too lengthy. The basics are: "Saudi gold discs had little to do with ARAMCO - local oil employees were paid in silver, only, and the concession fee was paid only in sovereigns."

edited October 31, 2016 9:31PM

@RogerB said:
    Your published source both very old and very incorrect... As I've offered twice before, if the OP wants the info, I will readily send it to him (or his parent). I cannot post it here because it is too lengthy.

OK, I'm not arguing with you and I accept what you are saying. After all, the source is 51 years old and newer info must've come to light, but as I have been operating under the assumption that the above source is factual all these years, I am still interested in the full story. I'm not the OP, so your generous offer (twice!) to him doesn't really help me out. If it is too lengthy to post here, perhaps you can point me and anyone else who might be interested to a more up-to-date source (printed material or online, I don't care) with the correct information? Then I can just peruse it at my leisure.

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2016 11:01PM

Bill Jones did a nice piece on the U.S. Coin Forum about these gold discs a little while back. I have a hard copy of what he wrote somewhere on my desk at work. Perhaps a link to his post could be placed here. I will try and find it, but haven't done any searching since the new forum software went into place.

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 31, 2016 10:54PM

Here it is. Bill, hope you don't mind me linking this here.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/958139/the-american-gold-sovereigns

Jeff

Edit to add, Bill's piece was a great history lesson with some nice pictures and was very well received by the Forum.

Unfortunately, much of the above linked article is also incorrect.

cecropiamoth and mvs7. If you will PM me with your email and I will send you accurate information.

Thanks for the link cecropiamoth. RogerB, PM sent... thank you.