Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How to measure cards??

Hello, I just inherited a bunch of baseball, hockey and other cards in August. Mostly complete sets along with full wax pack boxes and other misc cards. I used to collect cards when I was young, but haven't for quite a few years. Man, has collecting cards changed over the years. Someone told me how it's done these days, with getting them graded through PSA. I have sent in a few orders to PSA, on cards I thought were pretty good looking cards. Only to be disappointed with the grades they received. My last order I sent in were two 1979 Topps Wayne Gretzky cards. They both came back "MINISIZERQ" which I was shocked by. So, I wanted to ask anyone who might know. Is there a tool out there that can be purchased to measure the cards before I send anymore in. Also, what else should I be doing differently? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanking you in advance.
Micheal G

Best Answer

Answers

• Options

Lotsos,
    Thanks for the reply. I did that already and they are both shorter then the rest of the cards from both sets. I guess I just didn't realize that when I first pulled them out. Is there a tool out there to measure the cards? So you know they are correct? Or do you know what the true size of cards is suppose to be at?

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Simplest tool is......a ruler. Tah dah! The standard size for 1979 Topps issues is 2 1/2 inches left to right by 3 1/2 inches top to bottom. Many Topps issues are governed by these dimensions, however, there are others and they can be researched here or all over the Internet by using key terms.

The other aspect of this which I would like to mention is that the consistency with which PSA administers and enforces the "MINISIZERQ" designation sometimes comes into question. There are plenty of folks who've gone to the trouble of measuring a rejected card only to find that it is dimensionally correct. Others would swear they've seen those same types of cards which are "too small" somehow finding their way into graded holders. Just food for thought. It doesn't always work out the way you'd expect. In the case of your Gretzky cards, it's probable that greater scrutiny demanded they not be graded because of their size deficiency and their potential value if graded.

At least you didn't get hit with "EVID OF TRIMMING" which would leave you without a voucher so you can give it another try if you feel it's worth it.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

OK, so I used a ruler to measure these cards and they are both DEAD on 2 1/2 by 3 1/2. (Travis thanks for the information on what size they should've been back in 1979). So, I guess my next move is to call PSA and ask them why these were graded as undersized. Thanks for all the help I appreciate the help.

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

You should use a camera to take a picture of your Gretzky cards and share them here.

• Options

I love the Idea of the card centering tool in the link above......but I might be a little biased!!!! I will say that it is a very quick and accurate way to see if your cards are undersized. I have found a few when I am evaluating mine to send in.

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭

i always go w/ ty webbs preferred method.

"by height"