Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Middle East Material

Hello, hope everyone is doing well. I wanted to see if anyone has noticed middle east material rising. Over the past couple months I have sold hundreds of middle east coins and banknotes. Please let me know if anyone has noticed this as well. Hope to hear from you guys!

We deal with Chinese, Middle Eastern and Russian antiquities and collectables! Please welcome to check out our Gallery at 189 S. Beverly Dr. Beverly Hills, CA, 90212

My direct number is 512-808-3197 Raul

Comments

• Options
    ADGADG Posts: 423 ✭✭✭

Any link to a website?

"The vaccines work,” Trump said, adding that the people who “get very sick and go to the hospital” are unvaccinated.
    “Look, the results of the vaccine are very good, and if you do get it, it’s a very minor form,” Trump continued. “People aren’t dying when they take the vaccine.”
    Do your part, America 💉😷

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MrBreezeMrBreeze Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

When you say rising, I assume you are referring to popularity or price. While I do not have much to offer there, I definitely have thought that more material is coming to the market over the last couple of years. I have no data to back that up and I have only recently (last 6 months to a year) started to collect these coins. But, the more auctions I casually browse, I keep thinking more and more stuff (either legally or illegally) is coming out of the middle east.

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

Middle East countries I have collected for decades (Palestine, Egypt, and Ottoman Turkey) have always been elusive. It comes as no surprise that collectors are realizing this today and demand is strong. Even Zohar's comment re: Israel coins is true, but the potential for quality and rarity will eventually be realized. So much of the early Israel types have been mishandled or melted in the case of silver. I do believe it's an excellent opportunity for collectors to be able to find material at reasonable prices.

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 27, 2016 3:12PM

@atom said:
    Middle East countries I have collected for decades (Palestine, Egypt, and Ottoman Turkey) have always been elusive. It comes as no surprise that collectors are realizing this today and demand is strong. Even Zohar's comment re: Israel coins is true, but the potential for quality and rarity will eventually be realized. So much of the early Israel types have been mishandled or melted in the case of silver. I do believe it's an excellent opportunity for collectors to be able to find material at reasonable prices.

I believe you are correct regarding quality of surviving specimens - I just don't see much demand from collectors- I have attempted to build an early year Pruta set and do not see as many higher grade pieces around - perhaps not send in for grading - https://coins.collectors-society.com/WCM/CoinCustomSetView.aspx?s=1511

I rarely see any Israel coins on auction sites absent proofs and/or gold commemoratives. Very thin market.

• Options
    atomatom Posts: 431 ✭✭✭✭

Even back in the days of the 1970's when Israel commemoratives were hot, the trade coins of Israel weren't widely collected. Save for the keys in high grade (e.g. 1948 25 Mils, 100 Prutah Utrecht die, and the 1964 5 Agorot) or proofs, the early types were easily available in mint state. In the 40+ years since then, there's virtually no interest. I believe that will change in time much the same as Egypt has experienced. Take as example 1929 20 Piastres in UNC that sold for ~$100 in the late 1970's, today commands ten to twenty times that price in mint state. Thinly traded markets offer excellent opportunities the patient collector can enjoy today and tomorrow.

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Egyptian material has always sold well (at least for me), and Lebanon, Syria, and Palestine stuff from 1927 to 1935 has been doing well from about a year or two ago. For some reason, Turkey seems fairly cool - it sells, but not for as much as the others. I don't have much experience with Saudi or the gulf states. Iraqi does OK, except for some of the silver pieces from the kingdom period, which sell very very well - especially the big 200 fils. Finally, Iran does well, but Ebay often removes them!

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Iranian coins can be sold on ebay but only within the US. If your listing allows international shipping ebay will flag them.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭✭✭

Palestine Mandate coins have done fantastic over the years - at least for me until I sold them all in 2014. Obviously I refer to MS grades mostly but key dates in solid circ grades have done OK too...have not been following it closely as I once used too.

It took me well over a decade to assemble - some dates up to 20yrs in conditions I targeted. I understand the series is still carefully followed and a few still assembling high end complete sets. (59 coins)

Bjorn you probably meant 1927 to 1946 ;)

Z - you still have a very high end 1948 25 Mil from Israel if I recall. That is the first coin minted from the newly minted country ;)

• Options
    BjornBjorn Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

marcmoish - I did! Getting my dates mixed up again...

• Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,935 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked up several handful of raw pieces from Turkey, Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Egypt, and Palestine/Israel in that huge collection of minors I got to glean. Nothing extraordinary, but some nicer early 20th century items. Original pieces collected in the 1950s to 1980s. I'll post a link to the images in the darkside BST if anyone is interested.

We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options

Hello everyone! Yes I'm glad it's not just me that was thinking that. If you guys are interested I'm selling my doubles on my ebay http://www.ebay.com/usr/worldcollectibles310
    Please let me know if anyone is interested in anything, I could give you a better price than what it's listed for.

We deal with Chinese, Middle Eastern and Russian antiquities and collectables! Please welcome to check out our Gallery at 189 S. Beverly Dr. Beverly Hills, CA, 90212

My direct number is 512-808-3197 Raul