Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Is there a listing of stolen cards anywhere? I'm being offered some big cards @ Cheap prices

like a 8k card for 5500 Mantle.
Person sounds young on phone.
Any suggestions on what to do?

Comments

• Options
    bbcemporiumbbcemporium Posts: 684 ✭✭✭

Get a scan and post it here

Registry Sets

"Common sense is the best distributed commodity in the world, for every man is convinced that he is well supplied with it"
  • Options
    SmittysSmittys Posts: 9,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

Year: 1951
    Brand: BOWMAN
    Sport: BASEBALL CARDS
    Card Number: 253
    Player: MICKEY MANTLE
    Variety/Pedigree:
    Grade EX 5

Called the local police Sheriff office they are no help, Maybe I'm just lucky .
    Is there a way to see if a cards in someone's registry set?

• Options
    addicted2ebayaddicted2ebay Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2016 11:35AM

Did that contact you threw ebay? Are they from California ?

Edit: if it's Craigslist RUN !

• Options

@addicted2ebay said:
    Did that contact you threw ebay? Are they from California ?

Edit: if it's Craigslist RUN !

It's craigslist pics have been sent as well as phone contact.
    But that being said I've got great deals off craigslist as well as sold stuff so craigslist doesn't scare me. BTW I have a 357 holstered on my hip, it's Nevada don't you know... :p

• Options
    MrHockeyMrHockey Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

You can add the cert # to your registry before buying and see if it is already claimed by someone else. If I ever had cards stolen, I would certainly add all the #s to my registries to try to track people buying them.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Smit, 357 or not be careful with some of the folks on Craigers, there are some hardcore criminals on there. On any large purchase I would recommend you have someone with you.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2016 1:27PM

Smitty,

Why do you see if Jenny's grandsons are available to go with you.

Kevin

Kevin

• Options
    81 Topps Guy81 Topps Guy Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

Smitty,

Why do you see if Jenny's grandsons are available to go with you.

Post of the year right there

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭
    edited October 25, 2016 2:31PM

stolen or fake?

im thinking they are more likely to be the mexican connection slabs...

• Options
    edited October 25, 2016 8:29PM

In someone's registry So I'm guessing scam or stolen

• Options
    LOTSOSLOTSOS Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ask for a photo with today's date in it. At least you will know if it's in his possession or not. Then request to make the transaction in the Police station parking lot or lobby. Sell it as being for both of your's safety. What seller of that card wouldn't want the extra measure of saftey for the transaction. If he dissapears you got your answer.

Kevin

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

You had me at "person sounds young".

• Options
    kwtozkwtoz Posts: 352 ✭✭

Since you've confirmed the card is in the registry, send an email to PSA explaining the situation.
    They may know if it has been reported to them as stolen.

Kevin Thomas
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭

There was a news story the other day pointing out that because of problems with Craig list or other internet exchanges some local police departments have established safe exchange zones, usually in a camera monitored parking lot near the police station.

Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

The identical cert number and card in the holder was sold by Heritage on 11/7/15 for $5736. Is the picture you show from the registry owner or from your seller? The laziest scammers just steal a real picture, and get you to send money because it all checks out, and you get nothing. Then you have scammers putting together fake slabs with certs that verify and get you to send money. You get something, but it's fake, and they hope you're inexperienced enough to want more and more great deals hey can offer you. You won't find out until you try to sell it or show it off. It is possible the card above is being offered to you by the person who currently owns it. A real person will not be afraid to give you more details and history about how they obtained it. It is important to actually try to check this out, and see how the picture you're shown lines up with previous sales if possible. You are somewhat inexperienced with cards, and eager to make money flipping cards. This will attract scamming sellers. It is comforting that you're checking this out before the purchase and not after.

• Options

He's got better cards too, claims he bought the one at heritage and the other at a show.
    So I told him show me the receipt from Heritage and We'd go farther

• Options
    rcmb3220rcmb3220 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭

Bought high dollar card from heritage, selling on Craigslist?

I'd be willing to bet the cards were stolen from a family member who doesn't even realize they are missing

• Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

"The ownerof this Item has been actively participating in the Make Offer to Owner program. 
    Offers to date:"
    $8,000 on August 9, 2016
    $7,800 on July 30, 2016
    $7,457 on June 3, 2016

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭

I'd contact the local police department and explain the issue in detail to a detective. They may want to do a sting on the guy. This way, if the cards are stolen, the owner will get them back and the thief will be caught. If the police decide not to go forward, for whatever reason, I'd then just politely decline.

• Options
    edited October 26, 2016 6:34PM

Scan looks legitimate. Probably stolen. Who would buy expensive cards then sell for cheep on Craigslist?

Ask him to remove the 51 from his registry. See what he says.

• Options

He's now treating to sue cause no-one will buy his cards, claims I said they were stolen

• Options
    KbKardsKbKards Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭

If the cards and seller are legit, and he's running sales on things like 51 Mantle 5's at $5500, then there will be many many very eager buyers.

• Options

How much for the 52 ?

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

This thread really has it all! Suspense, comedy, mystery. Where's the popcorn?

• Options
    totallyraddtotallyradd Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

Thank you!

• Options
    59Horsehide59Horsehide Posts: 427 ✭✭✭

Not sure I understand how the invoice is dated. Upper left shows a date of "07/11/2015" but the invoice order date is "Nov 7, 2015". I would think the order date would be prior to/equal to the invoice date. Not sure any of this matters but caught my curiosity.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭

To truecollector86- it is possible to have the card removed from the registry. I'd start with an email to PSA and they can walk you through what to do.

Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    zep33zep33 Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭

It's a setting on whether to show day or month first. Europe usually has it opposite of the standard US month/day/year

I usually write all my dates day/month/year for some reason. Maybe it was from the military I got in that habit

• Options
    HighGradeLegendsHighGradeLegends Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭✭

Interesting events here

• Options

Did parts of this thread disappear...ie the seller?

• Options

Yeah he's gone. Weird like he never existed.

• Options

The seller is over on Blowout BST trying to sell now.

• Options
    aberdeentradingcoaberdeentradingco Posts: 26
    edited November 7, 2016 2:44PM

__Not sure I understand how the invoice is dated. Upper left shows a date of "07/11/2015" but the invoice order date is "Nov 7, 2015". I would think the order date would be prior to/equal to the invoice date. Not sure any of this matters but caught my curiosity.

THE DATE 07/11/2015 IS EUROPEAN STYLE with the day followed by the month, so it's the same as the Nov. 7 invoice order date!

I wanted to add that it's hard to detect euro dating when neither the day or the month is over the number 12....

• Options

My receipts from Heritage don't look like his,

• Options

That looks a bit different than my Heritage invoice from that same auction.

• Options

That invoice from Heritage looks legit to me. It's basically just printing your order from the web browser after you login to Heritage. Of course it could still be from a family member and not the real owner.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe he had listed these and other cards over on the BST forum, too.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.