Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Heritage Auction - 1952 Mantle PSA 8.5 and Wagner PSA 2

KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checking the Heritage auction and saw where the Mantle PSA 8.5 is up to $1 million with BP, and the folks that own 7's and 8's are most likely ecstatic with this price so far. Card is centered decent but with a tilt - all other features look good.

How much does everyone think that will impact the other Mantle rookies out there?

On the Wagner I guess I don't understand the grade on this one, but the card is literally missing the corners - how is it not a 1 or lower I don't know. If I submitted the card it would come back a negative 3 :D

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously this card is going to bring huge money on it's own. That said I think I recall reading on here that Heritage is one of the auction houses that can essentially set a reserve by bidding for the house. They were shopping this card at the National in the 1.5 million range I was told so it would seem plausible the house would get this card up fast to bring further attention to it. Obviously pure speculation on my part.

I was also told there are confirmed PSA 9 sales north of 3 million so unless this just goes nuts from here I wouldn't think it would have any impact on prices. I think the take away is that the "bubble" in Mantle cards isn't popping and perhaps that gives further confidence to would be buyers at current levels.

Awesome card. Looks pack fresh.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

With that tilt...it is a weak 8.5. Not enough consideration is given by PSA to tilt. A point deduction should be the norm.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    ugaskidawgugaskidawg Posts: 882 ✭✭✭

I agree on that Wagner. Although the tilt is a little distracting, I love how white the borders are on that Mantle!

Here's the link to the auction...

https://sports.ha.com/itm/1952-topps-mickey-mantle-311-psa-nm-mt-85/a/7165-50786.s?ic3=ViewItem-Auction-Open-SearchResults-120115&lotPosition=0

• Options
    waxman2745waxman2745 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭

@Dpeck100 said:
    That said I think I recall reading on here that Heritage is one of the auction houses that can essentially set a reserve by bidding for the house. They were shopping this card at the National in the 1.5 million range I was told so it would seem plausible the house would get this card up fast to bring further attention to it. Obviously pure speculation on my part.

Does this mean that Heritage can place their own shill bids on their own auctions?

Adam
    buying O-Pee-Chee (OPC) baseball
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2016 10:34AM

In almost all auction houses it is common for "false" bids to be placed on items with a reserve if there is not much activity. On some of the consignment forms it states that the auction house can bid up to the reserve but not bid over the reserve. I know for a fact that this happens with a lot of the big classic car auction houses.
    James

• Options
    edited October 25, 2016 10:43AM

https://www.google.com/#q=heritage+auctions+bidding+on+own+items

In section 13 of the terms in conditions.

• Options
    MrNearMintMrNearMint Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    With that tilt...it is a weak 8.5. Not enough consideration is given by PSA to tilt. A point deduction should be the norm.

I don't think it's THAT much of a tilt. In fact, I only see the tilt on the left border. I've seen far worse with higher grades.

• Options
    edited October 25, 2016 7:03PM

This card looks like it was printed yesterday. If it had a touch better centering I think it would be a 9. It is easy to get caught up knocking a card and we are all guilty but I think this one deserves the grade. Eye appeal to a non collector is close to perfect.

• Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

The Mantle is a gorgeous card, but the scan is horribly inaccurate. It is not possible for the borders to be so white and the colors to be so deep, vibrant, and rich. It almost looks like the comic book version of the '52 Topps Mantle.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the grade but paying over $1 million for that tilt - not happening. I would take one of the 8's for $500k all day every day.

• Options
    begsu1013begsu1013 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭

texas law allows auction houses to bid on thier own items.

so everything really IS bigger in texas.

even shilling.

• Options
    LargentcollectorLargentcollector Posts: 760 ✭✭✭
    edited October 26, 2016 12:03AM

@CW said:
    The Mantle is a gorgeous card, but the scan is horribly inaccurate. It is not possible for the borders to be so white and the colors to be so deep, vibrant, and rich. It almost looks like the comic book version of the '52 Topps Mantle.

• 1000% That scan is so lame it's an enhanced scan for dramatic effect. I still need to read all the posts ( just read the other two lol) in this thread, the tilt doesn't bother me one bit that's the only thing keeping the card out of a Mint holder IMO.

Tim

ETA: Just read post lol

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@begsu1013 said:
    texas law allows auction houses to bid on thier own items.

so everything really IS bigger in texas.

even shilling.

+++ This Auction House is "announcing" to all bidders that they are shilling their auctions. Yet, folks still bid, and then complain about it later. A fool and his money.....

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    jfkheatjfkheat Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may be wrong but I think the law says that auction houses can bid on their items if there is a reserve and that they can't bid higher than the reserve.
    James

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfkheat said:
    I may be wrong but I think the law says that auction houses can bid on their items if there is a reserve and that they can't bid higher than the reserve.
    James

This is how I understand it also.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)