Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Franklin Coins- Which is more important?

Just starting out collecting Franklin half dollars and trying to figure some things out, if anyone can help. Is it better to have a Coin with a higher grade IE ms-66.. or a FBL 64 or 65?.. I'm trying to figure which would be a better way to start a collection and bid on auctions.. thank you for any advice or tips!

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome. This answer might seem trite, but in my opinion it is better to have the coin that makes you happier.

What is it that you like in your Franklin half dollars? If you like blazing, just from the Mint or roll bright white brilliance then you should hunt these down. Perhaps you prefer toned coins that may have spent time in double US Mint Sets then they are available, too. If a strong overall strike is to your liking then perhaps non-FBL coins that are struck well throughout could be for you. Alternatively, the FBL designation is quite sexy with Franklin half dollars and many folks eagerly search for these coins. Lastly, you may love how these look in proof as opposed to business strike so these may be better for you. Truly, what you like and/or can relate to is an enormous component to what is "better" when it comes to this series.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭

Are you collecting or investing? Collectors buy what they like.

"You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

@TomB said:
    Welcome. This answer might seem trite, but in my opinion it is better to have the coin that makes you happier.

What is it that you like in your Franklin half dollars? If you like blazing, just from the Mint or roll bright white brilliance then you should hunt these down. Perhaps you prefer toned coins that may have spent time in double US Mint Sets then they are available, too. If a strong overall strike is to your liking then perhaps non-FBL coins that are struck well throughout could be for you. Alternatively, the FBL designation is quite sexy with Franklin half dollars and many folks eagerly search for these coins. Lastly, you may love how these look in proof as opposed to business strike so these may be better for you. Truly, what you like and/or can relate to is an enormous component to what is "better" when it comes to this series.

thanks!..had not really considered my own personal preferences.. guess I really should do that first insread of what others think or what is the "best available"

• Options

@rainbowroosie said:
    Are you collecting or investing? Collectors buy what they like.

Collecting- but I also want to be informed and do IMO think "value" or pricing does matter. I wouldn't want to overpay for a coin 2x-3x its market value because do not know better- and would like to understand how the Coins are priced and valued. Hope that makes sense

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome that you asked the question and that TomB had an answer that everyone could reflect on.

I'm a Type collector first but also plod along with a silver Washington Quarter Registry set.

The Registry sets reward higher grades but I will use a lower grade coin if it has the look I like over a higher grade example that doesn't do it for me.

Doubtful I'll ever crack the top 10 with that strategy but that's fine by me.

Welcome!

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great advice has already been given above. I might add that the Franklin series also looks good collected both raw and certified. You could pick up a used dansco album cheaply on ebay and fill it however you wanted, including buying an extra page if you decide to throw the proofs in the mix. Have fun!