Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Toned Bronze (Netherlands Antilles) w/ TrueView

JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
edited October 22, 2016 4:39PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

My LCS had this one in an album and the toning spoke to me. I thought Phil did a great job capturing the color. For anyone familiar, this is the "Star & Fish" variety.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 20,697 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not familiar with this issue, but it is mighty cool looking.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• cecropiamothcecropiamoth Posts: 959 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a nice coin you have there JKT. The color is wonderful, but what drew me in was the awesome obverse strike. That lion looks like it is jumping off the surface of the coin. A cool LCS album find.

Jeff

• TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the color! What's the significance of the variety?

• ashelandasheland Posts: 22,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Indeed an awesome coin!

• JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Thanks for the comments guys.

@TwoKopeiki - Im pretty sure not much significance in the variety at all to be honest. Mintage of 700,000 compared to 900,000 for the "fish" variety. Every 1968 cent is either a "fish" or "star and fish". And by no means am I any sort of expert on Netherlands Antilles coinage, I've just read up on what was easily accessible online about this one after purchasing the coin at my LCS solely for eye appeal.

Always looking for tougher PSA 10's of Nolan Arenado, Alex Bregman, Mookie Betts, Francisco Lindor, and Mike Trout.

• ajaanajaan Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely coin.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2016 10:38PM

Nice coin with great color!

@JKT said:
    @TwoKopeiki - Im pretty sure not much significance in the variety at all to be honest. Mintage of 700,000 compared to 900,000 for the "fish" variety. Every 1968 cent is either a "fish" or "star and fish".

To the left of the date, there's a fish. There's also a star just to to left of that. So, yours is "star and fish." If there is just a fish, and no star, that's the fish variety. They most likely added the star to denote 1969 coinage without changing the date from 1968, as Krause says "struck in 1969" for the star and fish variety. I actually ran into this when I was a kid in the mid 1970s because I was collecting foreign coins from my birth year 1969 and thought this was an odd anomaly... so here I am 40 years later going "I know what that is!" :)

• AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

Beautifull cent , great toning <3
    The fish is the mintmaster symbol for Dr. J.W.A van Hengel (1945-1969) , when he left office, coins were minted with a star , awaiting the new mintmaster Dr. Ir. van den Brandhof (1969-1979) to choose his own mintmark ( a rooster) The Mercury staff at the right stands for the mintplace Utrecht.
    This was common practice on dutch coins, every time there was a change in mintmasters, the intermediate period (sede vacante) coins had a star added.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin just pops! Interesting backstory on the mintmarks too. I wonder how a mint master decides what mark he wants.

• brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin, RB just like I love copper. :sunglasses:

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• mvs7mvs7 Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Andres said:
    Beautifull cent , great toning <3
    The fish is the mintmaster symbol for Dr. J.W.A van Hengel (1945-1969) , when he left office, coins were minted with a star , awaiting the new mintmaster Dr. Ir. van den Brandhof (1969-1979) to choose his own mintmark ( a rooster) The Mercury staff at the right stands for the mintplace Utrecht.
    This was common practice on dutch coins, every time there was a change in mintmasters, the intermediate period (sede vacante) coins had a star added.

Thanks for that tidbit of information... very interesting.

• JKTJKT Posts: 492 ✭✭✭

Great information! Completely agree with mvs' sentiments. Very much appreciated.

• AndresAndres Posts: 977 ✭✭✭

@Stork said:
    That coin just pops! Interesting backstory on the mintmarks too. I wonder how a mint master decides what mark he wants.

They choose a symbol which usually was connected with their name. translation van Hengel = a fishing rod , so he took a fish.
    bit more complex ,van den Brandhof translates burning house, when there was a fire somewhere , people said the rooster
    is crowing, so Brandhof choose a rooster.

collector of Greek banknotes - most beautifull world banknotes - Greek & Roman ancient coins.