Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

surprised this hasn't had more Air time

Getting back into the hobby after 25 years, looking for high grade cards and unopened wax boxes

Comments

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw that a few days ago. I remember opening a box in 1986. Man who knew.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options
    Arsenal83Arsenal83 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭
    Too bad for the seller that he didn't sell this a few months ago when the Jordan was really on fire. Probably cost himself $20,000 for waiting.
  • Options
    lseeconlseecon Posts: 318 ✭✭

up to 69k. not only is the box apparently super clean but there is a pack with jordan on top inside. that ensures a nice premium.
    no doubt this is the holy grail of post 1970 wax boxes. While the 1971 baseball wax is much more rare, if you open a random pack out of an unsearched 86 fleer hoops box versus opening a random back from a 71 baseball box you are much more likely to pull some cards that pay for the pack from the 86 fleer. While opening any entire wax box is usually a losing proposition, the beauty of the 86 fleer box is that there good odds from opening unsearched packs. As a baseball fan, Id rather have a 71 topps baseball box, but I can certainly understand the appeal of the 1986 box and the Jordan factor.

• Options

Ever since BBCE started issuing letters for the 1986 Fleer boxes, it changed the landscape of what is considered a truly premium box. This is one of those boxes. With the BBCE one listed at $70k online, which has no "Jordan on top" pack, it will be interesting where the hammer hits on this one.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a great box.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    bighurt2000bighurt2000 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭

So the third place bidder bid (21) times from $500 to $46,724.00 what kind of bidding strategy is that?
    Made first bid 2 min after auction listed? Bid (19) times in the first 8 hours of the auction up to $45,824.00?

Am I missing something?

James

• Options
    SdubSdub Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

@lseecon said:
    up to 69k. not only is the box apparently super clean but there is a pack with jordan on top inside. that ensures a nice premium.
    no doubt this is the holy grail of post 1970 wax boxes. While the 1971 baseball wax is much more rare, if you open a random pack out of an unsearched 86 fleer hoops box versus opening a random back from a 71 baseball box you are much more likely to pull some cards that pay for the pack from the 86 fleer. While opening any entire wax box is usually a losing proposition, the beauty of the 86 fleer box is that there good odds from opening unsearched packs. As a baseball fan, Id rather have a 71 topps baseball box, but I can certainly understand the appeal of the 1986 box and the Jordan factor.

No-one, neither BBCE or PWCC, said this was unsearched. There is no FASC on this either. Steve noted a Jordan and other stickers. Far from an "unsearched" designation. IMO, with any of these '86 boxes, you have to start out with it being a Frankenstein, and then go from there.

Collecting PSA 9's from 1970-1977. Raw 9's from 72-77. Raw 10's from '78-'83.
    Collecting Unopened from '72-'83; mostly BBCE certified boxes/cases/racks.
    Prefer to buy in bulk.
  • Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 971 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 24, 2016 5:50AM
    Too bad there isn't a bbce or gai box population report