Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Help with the Identification of German Coins/medals

I have these two German coins that I am trying to identify and determine if they have any value. I have not been able to find either of these coins anywhere online. Please help if you can.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 19, 2016 9:15PM
    1. 1 Kopek 1916, GEBIET DES OBERBEFEHLSHABERS OST
      This is German occupation currency for Russia (eastern front) for World War I.
      coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=15011

2. 20, Swastika
      Looks like a German canteen token, similar to below.
      coinquest.com/cgi-bin/cq/coins?main_coin=9565

• Options

Thanks much. The 20 Swastika is similar, but uniquely different on the one side. I wonder about it's rarity? I hope others may have some additional information on that particular one. Thanks again.

• Options
    STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭
    edited October 20, 2016 5:11AM

@Spoot said:
    Thanks much. The 20 Swastika is similar, but uniquely different on the one side. I wonder about it's rarity? I hope others may have some additional information on that particular one. Thanks again.

The second token is in the same category as that linked by yosclimber, but is a generic or "maverick" example (ie a specific location/issuer not indicated). The symbol with the gear is that of the German Labor Front (DAF or Deutsche Arbeitsfront ) which was a national organization throughout Germany during the 3rd Reich. Presumably there were canteens in many locales in which such a token could have used. These sorts of things are often made of zinc which corrodes easily so your example is much better preserved than one would typically see. I would think that the generic token would be a lot more common than one tied to a specific issuer, but the $20 retail value doesn't seem unreasonable. Just MHO.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • Options

Thank you very much!