Home Sports Talk
Options

Dodgers shut out Cubs again

Well, there's a smell of billy goat in the air. Chicago might want to call 911 because their season is about to die in Chavez Ravine. Go Dodgers! Let's sweep the home series and end it in four games. Kershaw and the boys could use a rest before the World Series. B)

Comments

• Options
    larryallen73larryallen73 Posts: 6,057 ✭✭✭

Go Dodger blue!

• Options
    travis ttravis t Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Here lies the body of.....oh wait. Not over yet. As long as there's life in this team, someone must step up. John Lackey is like that old pickup truck with 300K miles on it, yet it always seems to fire up when you need it to go. I've been a Lackey fan since he was a rookie with the Angels in 2002. He put his arm around my young son the following spring and posed for a photo in the parking lot while his teammates poured into Tempe Diablo Stadium for a game. He stood there and talked to us for several minutes afterward until his coaches insisted that he "get to work!" I'll never forget that time and all the years we've watched him since....with Boston (oy!), St. Louis (more oy!), and now finally here he is, AGAIN, trying to carry his team in the playoffs. Good ol' John Lackey. I purchased tickets for this game knowing it would be him on the bump today, and my now full grown son and I will sit there behind the visitors dugout and cheer for our friend and his teammates. Save us John Lackey. Keep this dream alive, if only until Kershaw gets another baseball in his hand.

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

The old man and the goat has returned!

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice. ^ Tell Earvin I said hello. B)

I know we discussed this privately long ago, but I'll say it publicly as well. I share the same hometown with John. Same high school, same church. Comes from a rock solid family. Most interesting thing about him is that he didn't throw a single pitch until high school was in the rear-view mirror (he played first and was a very good hitter). Played QB in hs, too.

He ofttimes comes across as one of the biggest a-holes ever, but I know too many stories similar to the one above that would suggest otherwise. Years ago my mom told me that he came back into town and spent at least an hour on his knee talking to little children as they were being let out of Sunday school class. So just when you think you know someone, careful.

The guy's competitive fire is simply unrivaled. If you come to the mound and try to remove the ball from his hand, he's ready to scrap. His pitches may not bite quite as hard as they once used to, but I'd like to think that the postseason experience he'll be bringing to the bump tonight will mitigate that somewhat.

I'll be rooting hard for big J to conjure up a stellar outing, cuz let's face it, the last thing anyone wants to see on nat tel tonight is a CU member sniveling behind the Cubs' dugout with an inordinate amount of Dodger Dog in his pie hole.

• Options

Ha! You won't see me sniveling, mister. I'll be the one doing the backstroke in a river of crybabies.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,307 ✭✭✭✭✭

As one of the announcers said, the Cubs don't even have a decent curse.
    A smelly goat that wasn't allowed admittance some 60+ years ago?

At least the Red Sox had a prestigious Babe Ruth curse.

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.
  • Options

Curse-shaw! :/

• Options

Galaxy, are you you saying you went to high school with Lester? If so, that intrigues me because that's my area too- not my high school, but my city.

• Options

@SirLurksALot said:
    Galaxy, are you you saying you went to high school with Lester? If so, that intrigues me because that's my area too- not my high school, but my city.

Lackey, not Lester. Same hs, but not at the same time.

• Options

Trying to figure out if John used more sliders or cuss words. No matter. Tonight was awesome. I even drank an entire Dos Equis.

• Options

I'm just thankful that I didn't bite on the total # of brews imbibed by trav / total # of words uttered by Larry King prop bet.

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Dodgers shut out Cubs again"

Talk about your all time backfires...... ;)

It's been a great series to watch.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    OnedollarnohollarOnedollarnohollar Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭

the Dodgers have them JUST where they want them...Kershaw game 6 and Hill game 7...the fat lady ain't sung yet!

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 21, 2016 4:24AM

these last two games will be interesting.

--- RE: pitching. how hard will the Cubs play to win it on Saturday?? if the Dodgers prevail and force Game 7 on Sunday, how will that stressful game affect the pitching rotation in Game 1 on Tuesday?? if the Cubs win Game Six this will be a moot point.

--- RE: hitting. I haven't seen much of either Team prior to these playoffs and I haven't been able to see much during the playoffs. overall, I would say that both NL Teams seem to suffer from the same defect that the Boston Red Sox and Toronto Blue Jays suffered from: their tendency is to wait on the fastball and they have shown an inability to consistently hit/layoff the curve ball.

if anyone was paying attention to the two series' with the Indians they will know what happened: Cleveland pitchers overwhelmed the Teams they played with hard sliders and sharp curve balls. someone noted during one of the post-game shows that the Indians threw about 70% more breaking balls during the series' than they did during the regular season. this was no accident, it was by design. Mickey Calloway, Roberto Perez and the entire pitching staff went where the film study led them.

I am not saying that the Indians will shut down whoever they play, they may be swept in four game. I am only saying that the best predictor of what will happen in the future is what has happened in the past. if the Dodger/Cub hitters feel that they can sit on "red" they may find an unwelcome result waiting for them.

• Options

Optimism. We won't speak in hushed tones about what once was. There is only the future. It looks good. To be a baseball fan right now is an absolute pleasure. By this time next week I hope to be losing sleep for all the right reasons.

• Options

What I'm liking most about this series getting stretched out is CLE getting some rest.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is the Cubs/Cleve. in the WS one fan base will hit the heights of euphoria, (having waited oh so many decades) the other some depth of despair-to be so close yet so far.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭

They had to take Kershaw out.......he was getting a bad case of whiplash! Love it! Go Cubs!!!

• Options

So, I'm a newb when it comes to stuff to do on a late October Friday night in Wrigleyville. Any suggestions? :)

• Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 25, 2016 5:20PM

@travis t said:
    So, I'm a newb when it comes to stuff to do on a late October Friday night in Wrigleyville. Any suggestions? :)

Well......you could hang out here.

Or sit with a few of your friends.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options

Thanks Sparky. We'll do both. B)