Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Does anyone have a picture of a New Zealand matte proof set from 1953?

I was getting ready to post this modest little MS 6P to the Tuesday Toner thread and was glancing at the NGC price guide and saw there was a matte proof set in 1953.

I like looking at matte proofs and googled for some pictures, but didn't see any. Can someone post one? Any idea if the 1953 matte proofs fared better than the 1902 versions (all that mint made swiping...ugh)? Or, is the matte proof of this year just a mythological beast?

Please excuse the white stuff--it's in an old style NGC slab and the insert material was not well cut.

Comments

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would expect the fabric and appearance of the NZ coins to be similar to this.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

And here's a link to a not very good image of a NZ crown.

https://noble.com.au/auctions/lot/?id=216636

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Andy has a decent picture there. Cathy yours is IMO without a doubt a pleasant currency specimen. My usual source for pics is the DNW site, or Heritage, or even London Coins.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

@7Jaguars said:
    Andy has a decent picture there. Cathy yours is IMO without a doubt a pleasant currency specimen. My usual source for pics is the DNW site, or Heritage, or even London Coins.

Oh, I knew mine was regular (every thread needs at least one photo after all).

It just got me thinking down a random coin pathway :smiley: An occasionally dangerous place, but not this time. Just sheer curiosity.

Thanks for the link Andy! I do like looking at random things and my quick Google-fu had let me down.