Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

interesting information about Canadian and World coins. But these are most likely Fakes.

YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

please see have a look at this and one starts to wonder if this also is a problem in the US?
http://www.coincommunity.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=271671

Today is the first day of the rest of my life

Comments

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's stunning that the mule die pairing would get past ICCS.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Go towards the end (p 8 or 9) and look at the Chinese Ebay seller's "sold" items. In addition to the 1914 Edward 10 cent that started the thread, there's both a 1912 & 1916 Edward 10 cent sold, as well as 1 1909 George 10 cent sold.... all impossibilities with the wrong Monarch. He has 2 pages of "sold" other world coins, many Chinese, that also look like they are all fakes, or mostly so.

• Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

Scary! One of the earlier comments noted possible 3D printing of dies. I don't know how feasible that is...and why they wouldnt have a good die pairing, but that is truly scary for the hobby. Maybe the incorrect pairs are for deniability....not selling a counterfeit if the coin never existed. But, with that kind of technology, it will/most likely has occurred. I'm glad I collect unpopular and/or not lucrative and/or thinly traded stuff!

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering this very unpleasant issue with fakes, **I am wondering where law enforcement comes in? **
    Border agents in the US and Canada are always hot on the trott ( and rightly so) to find even as little as a tiny scent of some drug on travelers. They spent incredible amounts of money to follow up on that scent and put the "wearer" through a battery of routine of tests. And of course one is now probably listed in their Data base as a "possible".
    would it be so difficoult (or legal) to have one more question on the customs declaration form, verbal or written, which would clarify if the person did or did not aquire **any **fake currency of any country while out of the country?
    Perhaps that might be too easy or might require laws to be passed?
    I know, it is illegal in Canada to possess forged Canadian currency. But, and that is a big huge but: Law enforcement does very, very little if anything, to enforce these existing laws pursuing possession of a small number of items. Their excuse: No funding for that.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life